PivotTable shows empty columns with "< 21/22/2016" as heading

Beemerang

Board Regular
Hi All,

I'm using PivotTables for the first time after years of manually generating reports and while I can see how powerful they can be, it's driving me nuts figuring out how everything works. I did do a couple of searches before posting but perhaps I am not using the correct search term as I found nothing related to my query.

I have a fairly simple list upon which I have based a PivotTable. Everything calculates fine but I have two columns appearing in the PivotTable to the right of the column that contains the year's subtotal with a header in the first column that says "<21/11/2016" and in the cell below it "(blank)" and another column to right of this one with the header "<21/11/2016 Total" and below that a blank cell.

Now I know that the date 21/11/2016 (UK format) is the date of the first list entry. The line directly above the first entry is the heading row. No rows are hidden. There are no list entries with a date that is prior to 21/11/2016 so I have no idea why these columns appear.

How can I prevent these columns from appearing every time the PivotTable us updated? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Beem

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Hi Beem, What are settings for the Grouping for that field.

To check, right-click on one of the header dates, then Group....

Post the information displayed in the dialog window such as Auto, Starting, Ending, and which units highlighted under By

Upvote 0
Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the reply.

Under Auto it has ticks for Start at 21/11/2016 and Ending at 25/11/2016 and By shows that Months and Years are selected. In the Number of Days field, it displays 1.

Regards,
Beem

Upvote 0
Beem, What you describe could happen if you have one or more cells in your date field that are blank. Can you eliminate the records with the blanks in the date field? Then resize the source data reference to just include rows with records, if needed.

Upvote 0
Hi Jerry,

There aren't any blank cells in the date field, every single cell is populated. This is why I am thrown by this. :)

Is there any other information I could provide that might be useful to you?

Upvote 0
Check to see if your PivotTable options are set to retain deleted items. There's a dropdown setting on the Data tab. If that's currently set to Max or Auto, change it to None. Then Refresh your Pivot and see if that removes the unwanted columns.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jerry, I've changed the setting to None without any change.

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to try and help me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
One other thing to try. Double click on one of the blank cells under the field "< 21/22/2016". If you have drilldown enabled in your Pivot, this will show which record(s) are being summarized in that field.

Upvote 0
If I do that, it shows the header row and a blank row. This really has me stumped!

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Upvote 0
Seems like Excel thinks there's a blank row in your source data.

Have you checked the address of the source data to make sure it isn't including the row below your dataset?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back