Plot a graph from one single cell

holiday

Board Regular
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SORRY I AM REPOSTING THIS ONE AS I REPLIED TO MY OWN ONE YESTERDAY WHICH MAY MAKE SOME PEOPLE NOT READ/REPLY TO IT AND I REALLY NEED THE HELP!!! :oops:

Hi

I really need some help

I need to know, can I plot a graph (ongoing plotting each value) from just ONE single cell which constantly updates it's value? (I have a third party datafeed hooked up to one single cell in Excel 2000 [yes, the old one ] and it updates quickly in realtime automatically throughout the day). But I need to trace the history of the values, plot a graph of all the values which ever show up in that single, in other words.

Also, I need to date and time stamp each new plot on the X axis of the graph (only when a new figure appears in the cell). So, for example, my one and only "datacell" (say, A1!) which is linked to an external datafeed is showing "145.87541" at 12:30:45 on 27/04/05. I need that time and date on the X axis which the number as the plot. Then that cell changes value 2 seconds later to "145.87587" at 12:30:47 on 27/04/05. Now I need that second plot on the graph at the correct time/date stamp so I am constantly plotting the history of the value onwards (potentially forever!) using just that one, automatically updating, cell. THANKS!!!

Oh PS: if anyone actually knows how many plots my graph could possible ever have as a maximum in Excel - please could you tell me?! THANKS AGAIN!!!!!

If you're plotting a lot of points, you will probably find charting in Excel 2007 excruciatingly slow. At least that's how I and many other users have found it. It is one of the most common complaints about Excel 2007. Microsoft has released a hotfix for this problem, which seems to have upgraded it from excruciatingly slow to merely painfully slow.

Before taking the plunge, you should carefully test this project and others on a computer with 2007, and decide if you can live with the performance issues in order to get the coveted "more rows".

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
John Walkenbach's "Excel 2000 Formulas" ($26.29 on Amazon.com) is a good resource. You should be able to determine from that if EX2000 will have the horsepower you need, and it comes with a CD-ROM containing working copies of the sheets he uses in the text. I lean heavily on the Excel 2003 version of this book myself.

Upvote 0
Ahhh that's interesting thanks for the advice. 2007 may not be worth the upgrade if I can do it all in 2000 right? Maybe certain features in 2007 bit off more than they could chew?? :wink:

And I guess from your post gardnertoo you use 2003?? Now there's a tip!!

Thanks to everyone once again for all this help!!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Upvote 0
Yes, I use 2003. Not really an endorsement of one version over another though; I use what the company IT types provide me.

Upvote 0
Excel 2003 is a little "nicer" than 2000, but it doesn't really do much more unless you're into XML. The one feature 2003 has that made me upgrade is the List feature, which lets you define a range as a data list, which gives the range all the features of autofiltering, and any formulas outside the range that refer to the range update to keep referencing the entire range when rows are added or removed.

Other than that, 2000 is basically good enough.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nomvula

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back