Point me in right direction

martiniextradry

Board Regular
I'm an Excel boy who is moving into Access and I'm struggling majorly to see what I should be focusing my time learning, any help would be very much appreciated and would save me hours (many many many of which I have already wasted not getting very far).

I am trying to create a database which will convert the specification sheets of products into sheets that can be used by workers. We cut foam, so mainly they are settee specs, and each one is made up of a number of parts in different sizes and foams etc.

What I am struggling with is getting a whole order collated together into one cutting sheet. ie each customer will order from 5-6 suites each order. I can make a query with which asks you Company? then Product? then ask for the amount of Chairs?, 2seaters? and 3seaters? on order and it calculates from the spec how many of each item it needs with this formula: Qty: [Chairs?]*tblMainTable!QtyPerChair+[2seaters?]*tblMainTable![QtyPer2S/S]+[3seaters?]*tblMainTable![QtyPer3S/S]

But I would need a separate sheet for every single suite ordered, whereas I need it to collaborate them all together to fulfill a customer's whole order on one sheet of paper. And eventually I want to get it to collaborate all customers together and print a separate sheet for each type of foam rather than each customer, but thats perhaps for another day.

So as an example, a customer could order 5 different suites, and each suite has at least 3 different types (usually chair, 2seater and 3seater) on which some parts are universal (ie arm parts), and each will have about 10 different parts to it. Each part in the main table specifies how many are on each type (ie an arm part is generally 2 on each type, a seat would likely be 1 per chair, 2 per 2seater and 3 per 3seater).

So should I be learning about queries, if so which type etc (ie does an append query allow me to do each suite separately and put them together in one table?) or should I be learning about forms and modules?

(Many thanks for reading, I know it rambled a bit but there's a lot you need to know to answer)

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
I would look at the Query side first using expressions and multiple tables if you are using them, then consider user forms with command options like combo box to select a customer and a subform to show you specific details, also consider macros and reports, reports would be your printed presentation which can be set to a single order, group orders as well as overall.

Microsoft provides sample database for queries, forms and reports which you can download. Link to sample queries is here, if you google microsoft sample forms then reports you will find the link.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...5B-A8BA-4C2B-BAB7-EEA1F953C040&displaylang=en

Also consider things like YouTube to watch tutorials. There is also a website called datapig which will give you some visual tutorials.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks very much Trev.

Is there a particular sort of 'sub-section' of queries I should concentrate on to achieve the multi-parameter based formulas?

Cheers

Upvote 0
Or is there a way to put the results of a bunch of queries into one mashed up table?

Don't need to know how to do it, just what the method would be called, to focus my currently quote aimless research.

Nice one muckas

Upvote 0
Use your first query to do a make table, then the others append, when you re run the make query will delete the previous table, once done look at creating a macro to run all of the queries and you also want to look at setwarnings in the macro otherwise you will get loads of message boxes asking you to run and what it is running.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tayo4dgacorbanget

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back