Pop Up Chart Hover Label

94mustang

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
When I hover the cursor over a data point on an Excel Chart, it displays the raw data value from the cell reference. For example, I am charting percentages and would like to be able to see the % symbol in the Pop up hover label when the cursor is over the data point. Can someone help me change the number format of the hover label? I am using Excel 2010. Thanks.

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Can you change the formatting of the source data?
Not positive, but I believe that hover labels Value: number format is linked to the source number format.

EDIT: Experimented with mixing the number formats in the source data and it appears that the hover value's number formatting is linked to the number format of the first value in the source data.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The number format in the source data (first value) is in a percentage but is not displayed as a percentage in the hover label. What am I doing wrong?

Upvote 0
The number format in the source data (first value) is in a percentage but is not displayed as a percentage in the hover label. What am I doing wrong?

In my test workbook, any changes to the number format of the first value in the series change are reflected in the hover label after the next calculation.
Try changing the format of the first value then hit the F9 key to calculate.

To clarify, these are my observations from doing some tests and I haven't seen any documentation or threads that describe how to change the formatting of the hover label. So it's possible that what I'm suggesting you try might not work for different scenarios.

If the F9 calculation doesn't fix this, please describe more specifics about your setup such as the Chart Type, X Axis Type. Posting a small sample of your chart data will also help in being able to replicate your setup.

Upvote 0
Solution
I had to let your statements above sink in and I finally understood. My graph has multiple columns to pull the data. The cells above where my data starts is empty (its the way I have my graph set-up. Those empty cells were not formatted. Once I formatted those cells, the hovel label displayed the percentage. Thanks so much for your help. Problem solved.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catterz66

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back