Populating a Link Table

jogrady

I'm new to Access database development and was hoping to get some feedback from some veterans.

I'm creating a products database for a body jewelry company that sells 5000 different items. Right now each item is identified by a unique product code. The problem is each product code has multipe size and color variations. We have to track stock for each product variation so I'm going to create a unique value (skuID) for each color and size variation and associate it with ProductID. To accomplish this I've created three tables. One for products, one for each product variation called Skus, and a ProductConfig table to assign skus to products. Is this best practice? (I've read that I should avoid multi-value lookup fields for size and color combos.)

Here is where I run into problems....

I want Users to be able to create/modify/delete products and the skus associated with those products. Every product must have a Sku assigned. So, when a users creates a product in a form I want to give them the ability to create all the skus associated with that product too. How do I automatically associate the product ID to each skuID in the ProductConfig table as those products and skus get created via the form I'm going to build. Will I have to learn Visual Basic to do this? Do I create some sort of Macro? Does Access already know how to do this? I don't want to have to manually assign productsIDs to SkuIDs via lookup tables in the ProductsConfig table. That would be prone to error.

Thanks in adance for your help, advice, or just for pointing me in the right direction.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Have you set this up in at least 3 tables: 1 - unique product code, 2 - available sizes, and 3 - available colors? Do you really want a user to be able to delete these records? Won't that destroy your sales history? Have you considered using a concatenation of the unique product code, a size code, and a color code as your skuID?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cybersurfer5000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back