Populating a second Combobox list based on an initial Combobox selection with data from a spreadsheet

weeno310

Good afternoon good people of Mr.Excel,

This is my first post/query on this forum. I hope to learn from all of you and contribute as well. This is my first experience with using Excel VBA and I would greatly appreciate it if anyone would be able to help me out with a user form I am trying to make.

Basically, I am trying to make a user form which will allow a customer to input certain data. This data pertains to specs for different makes/models of ventilation fans for mining purposes. They will enter data such as Fan Make, Model, Diameter, Length, HP, etc. Once the customer hits a 'submit' button, all the data entered in the form (via combobox selections and textbox inputs) will be organized in columns on a new row of a sheet for each fan. The form also gets cleared upon this action so it is ready for a new set of data input. It is expected that the customer will fill out the form and hit submit multiple times so there will be multiple rows of data. I have already done the coding up to this point and it is working. The data is being stored in the spreadsheet as expected.

Assuming there is a large data set (multiple rows of data for various fans) in the spreadsheet to begin with, what I want the form to do (during data input) is to give the customer the ability to select the Fan Make from the initial combobox, which should have a unique list of all the fan makes that are within the database (from column A). Basically, this is so that the customer doesn't have to type in a fan's company every time they start a new entry especially if the make already exists in the database. Once the customer has made this selection, I want the next combobox (for Fan Model) to populate its list with only the fan models (in column B from the database) that are associated with the selected Fan Make.

I know this might sound like a basic question, but I hope it is not too much trouble to help me out with this? Please let me know if any more information is required.

Thank you very much!

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Can we assume that EVERY Fan Entered is already in the database or do you need to be able to enter new information as well?

Upvote 0
Good afternoon Redwolfx,

Thank you for your quick reply! Basically the comboboxes also 'serve' as textboxes where the customer can input new information into them, if they choose not to select something from the list. The database is dynamic as the number of rows of information will grow as the customer inputs more data over time.

Here is a picture of what my user input form looks like:
fan.jpg

Thank you!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pranjal9

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back