Possible to use VBA to perform OCR on embedded picture objects and copy text values to cells?

jasonfromchico

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me with this.

My Excel 2013 worksheet has several embedded pictures of numerical values that have been obtained from a PrtSc of another application. Using VBA, the images are then pasted from the clipboard, named, and cropped to include only a single number with decimal point (ex: 123.4). I'd like to go a step further and have their values automatically pasted into cells. But without a method of OCR, I have to manually type the values into the target cells in order to perform further calculations from which they are based.

Is it possible to OCR these named picture objects, such as via MODI or OneNote? My workbook is intended for distribution and use on a secure network, so installation of a 3rd party OCR application may not be possible.

I've tried to do my part to figure this out by an extensive Google search and am led to conclude that nobody has posted a solution to the specific concept I'm after.

Everything I gather about OneNote is that I could use VBA to execute the application but cannot continue with VBA to perform the OCR and transport the results back to Excel. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Microsoft has made MODI available again, so I installed it and have added a VBA Reference to the "MODI 12.0 Type Library". My attempts at reverse engineering MODI-specific VBA commands I've found on the web have either done nothing, given errors, or crashed Excel.

So, my thought is this concept just isn't possible, but please only confirm this if you know for sure. Otherwise, any solutions or resources are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Narrian

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back