Power Pivot - Count Until

hayden

Board Regular
I have a column of data created through prior if statements that contain either a value of zero, or a value greater than zero. I'm trying to create a new column that will count the days until the value is greater than 1. Below is an example of the data (Value column) and the result I'd like (count). I have a feeling this is a calculate with distinct count and some filter, but I can't seem to craft something that works.

In excel, I would simply start a formula in row 2 that was if(value>0,0,Count from row above + 1).

ValuesCount

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Some more background for those of you reading this. My goal is to identify the date a reservoir was last 98% full.

My larger daily data set contains several columns including:
1) Daily Date
2) Year
3) Reservoir contents
4) Percent full

I've created a measure to determine the minimum reservoir contents for the period, and a second measure to lookup the date value that the minimum occurs on. Now I'm trying to find the date before the minimum date when the reservoir was last 98% full.

So for example, the minimum contents may occur on 3/21/2003, and during 2002, the reservoir only reached a 70% full, but in 2001 on June 4, 2001 the reservoir was above 98% full.

The end goal is to create a measure to get the 6/4/2001 date value.

The values column above is something I created with if statements to identify the rows where the maximum reservoir percent full for each year is over 98%. I was thinking if I could calculate the count column, I could subtract that from the minimum contents date to get the date I want.

But of course I'm open to other suggestions.

Upvote 0
This sounds like a very roundabout way to go. Just create a measure that filters your table for dates less than the minimum's date where the value was >=0.98 and then calculate the max date from that filtered table.

Upvote 0
Solution
@RoryA, Thank you for helping me step away from the trees to look at the forest, and find a simpler way to do this. I think your approach will work much better than mine.

I think my measure needs to be something like this:

Power Query:
StartDate:=CALCULATE(max(DailyTable[Date]),FILTER(DailyTable,DailyTable[Date]<[CriticalEndDate]) && FILTER(DailyTable,DailyTable[AnnualMaxPerFull]>=DailyTable[PerResCritical]))

Where:
[CriticalEndDate] is a measure looking up the minimum reservoir contents date (i.e. 3/21/2003).
[AnnualMaxPerFull] are the percent full values by date
[CriticalEndDate] is a column of values representing the 98% which I pull in from a table variable.

But that gives me an error.
Semantic Error: A function 'FILTER' has been used in a True/False expression that is used as a table filter expression. This is not allowed:

Can you help me with the format?

And just to help visualize here is some dummy data. Were trying to get the values highlighted green.

Screenshot 2023-12-08 072114.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-08 072114.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-08 072114.png
    18.2 KB · Views: 2
Upvote 0
Okay, still stuck on trying to calculate the maximum date given two criteria as @RoryA described above.

Now thinking its something like this:
Power Query:
CriticalStartDate:=Maxx(FILTER(DailyTable,DailyTable[PerCap8Res]>=TblUserInput[CriticalFullPercentage] && DailyTable[Date]<=[CriticalEndDate]),[Date])
Where
DailyTable contains my dates.
[PerCap8Res] is the Reservoir percentage full from 0 to 100% (i.e. the 3rd column above).
TblUserInput[CriticalFullPercentage] is the 98% reservoir contents. It is a measure from a separate table.
[Date] are the dates I'm trying to filter for dates earlier than the end of the critical period (i.e. the first column above).
[CriticalEndDate] is a measure on my DailyTable that returns the data given the minimum reservoir contents using Lookupvalue (i.e. the blue row above).

Any help on this would be great!

Upvote 0
It's very hard (for me at least) to answer this out of context.
First question: what is happening if you enter the measure you just posted?

Upvote 0
That would suggest to me that nothing is matching your criteria.

Any chance you can post a sample file somewhere with some anonymous data?

Upvote 0
Change the query so that it returns PercentFull as a Decimal number (it's being loaded to the model as text at the moment), create a measure called UserPct for the percentage threshold using:

=MAX(UI_PercentContents[UI_PercentContents])

and then amend the date measure to use:

=VAR startFrom = [EndDate] RETURN maxx(FILTER(Daily,Daily[PercentFull]>=[UserPct] && Daily[Date]<=startFrom),Daily[Date])

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back