Power Query to insert rows?

JackDanIce

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

This relates to post: Flat table -> Pivot table -> Insert calculated row?

I have a named table of data, duplicated dates in column A (ranging over 15 years), a label in column B and various metrics in remaining columns.

For output, I need to extract a specific label and then insert an empty row with just the month-end date for every month across the range of dates in this subset. Some dates will already be at month-end but I still need to insert this row and ensure column B includes that filtered label value

I think this is like a UNION join instead of an INNER join because I want to insert rows (with month-end dates) into my subset table, where dates between the two tables may not always match? My SQL isn't strong.

Is this more suitable for Power Query, read the data from the sheet and then create this transformation, before output?

If so, can anyone explain or guide through steps how to do so?

TIA,
Jack

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
so far...
CustomCurrencyAmount
28/09/2006EUR50000
28/09/2006EUR-50000
30/09/2006EUR
01/10/2006EUR50000
31/10/2006EUR
01/01/2007EUR-52092.5
01/01/2007EUR52092.5
31/01/2007EUR

but I have no idea for
31/10/2006
30/11/2006
31/12/2006

Upvote 0
Sorry for late reply, I'm almost there, though my output is really slow to generate! I'm going to make a few minor changes (seems to be slower reading in data from the sheet and using merge queries to proxy a VLOOKUP than say adding column to table and letting Excel do the calculation).

I'll try to post the example workbook later, but fairly pleased it's almost done!

Upvote 0
Hi Sandy,

I got Power Query to work and generate output as needed. It involved isolating min and max dates, then creating a list of end of month dates based on this, merged into main query results, then some more manipulation.

Problem became took on averge a 1minute for each data transform/output and the more I tried to reduce queries, handle calcs etc in Excel (I don't know why but the raw data will always be kept in the file and manually updated), the less "work" Power Query was doing but still taking ~1minute.

Finally, using additional helper columns and stuff inserted to reduce Power Query, so tried a VBA approach which now works and each output takes <3 seconds - much faster than avg 1min!

Thanks for reading and efforts to try. If I get time later, I'll try to post the version with completed Power Query working where pulls took avg 1 min, maybe you can suggest speed gains?

Best,
Jack

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvine

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back