Power Query usage?

newexcler

Hi Experts,

Is there an advantage in using a power query to analyze multi-filter tables where the primary key is not ID but a unique name or code (not numerical) ?

For example:
NameDepartmentAccess to rolesValidity

Say, I make Name and Department as another query, remove duplicates, and create a relationship to this table?
If I create a pivot table for the created data model, can I create multi-filter slicers to analyze better?
I tried but I am not able to make filter created in the pivot table link to other filters.
example: Filter by Name, I was expecting I get all the details of department, roles etc of the person and when I filter on the department, it provides a filter for all roles, names, etc.
But I couldn't So please can let me know if this use case is good for Power Query / Pivot or I am using it wrong?

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
Hi,
If I understand your query correctly then, yes...

Yes, it is smart to normalize the data and create unique lookup tables and use these in a data model.
For slicers, you are talking about a standard behaviour and there are visual clues inside the slicer (see below).

Remember to use "Department" and other fields from your lookup tables inside the slicers as filters flow down in he model and never up. Understand it as filtering the fact tables first, never filters the lookup table.
Side note: those slicers setting to visualize items yes or not is expensive and often a bad idea.
1629027194520.png

Upvote 0
Hi,
If I understand your query correctly then, yes...

Yes, it is smart to normalize the data and create unique lookup tables and use these in a data model.
For slicers, you are talking about a standard behaviour and there are visual clues inside the slicer (see below).

Remember to use "Department" and other fields from your lookup tables inside the slicers as filters flow down in he model and never up. Understand it as filtering the fact tables first, never filters the lookup table.
Side note: those slicers setting to visualize items yes or not is expensive and often a bad idea.
View attachment 44867

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jest

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back