PowerPivot Size Limitations

excel_vba_guru

I stumbled upon this post while trying to figure out the size limits of PowerPivot.

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=447852

I have a text file, delimited by a "|" (pipe), which has 22 columns and a little under 30 millions row. The text file is about 4.5 GB is size.

I started to import the file, and all was going well, until it hit about 18 million records (or what I presume to be 2GB in size). An error message about not enough memory was received. I am running 32-bit XP with 4GB of RAM.

I have two questions, first how was the text file of 18 million records only 58MB in size?

Secondly, how is this tool any more useful than access, if you are still bound by the 2GB size limitation (as taken from PowerPivot help, see below).

PowerPivot Help -> Section Learn About PowerPivot Capabilities
"...PowerPivot supports files up to 2GB in size and enables you to work with up to 4GB of data in memory..."

I look forward to hearing how the text file might have been saved.

Thanks,
Excel VBA Guru

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
So it appears that we have another almost useless tool when it comes to real datasets. I am only trying to use this for 20 months of Journal Entries for one location. Makes it quite difficult to do any kind of trending when you have to work with the data in one year increments, per location. Is there a way to compress the source data to make it possible to load more into a single powerpivot file?

My current source file is pipe delimited with just under 30 million rows and 22 columns (fields) of data. I don't view this to be a "ton" of data. Just a good amount.

Thoughts?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenmaldonado

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back