PP 2010 Can't create measures anymore, syntax problem, when there is not!

olivierhbh

Board Regular
Hi everyone,

Very annoying problem this morning on Excel 2010.

I opened a PP file with a few measures, wanted to create a new one and it seems impossible to validate the syntax, except if the measure is "=1".

Worse, all my measures in this workbook now raise the same syntax issue (but still work when playing around with slicers or updating model), for example:

The expression is not valid or appears to be incomplete. Please review and correct the expression.
The syntax for 'AVERAGE' is incorrect. (AVERAGE('AllPrices'[Price])).

Do someone have an idea of why this happens and how to solve it? That'd really be a relief.

Olivier.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Hi Matt,
I don't think so, the only thing that happened is that I updated to Office 2016 then rollbacked to 2010. I checked with an other file and it seems that I have the same problem, so I feel that something more "global" might have happened.
Do you know how the regional settings should be set?

Upvote 0
I just checked on a colleague's computer for whom it's still working and our regional settings are the same.
I also checked on someone else's computer who had a rollback too, and we have the same problem...

Upvote 0
Well there is no right or wrong regional settings. All I know is some regions use ; as a separator, and other regions use , as a separator. I wondered if that was the problem.

Upvote 0
Yeah stupid question. But anyway the separator is the same as other computers where it works.
And some very simple measures which don't even include a separator don't work.. ex: =SUM(TradeFlow[Value])

Any other idea..?

Upvote 0
Yep. Sometimes the plugin will crash, but stay active (opposed to when it crashes and becomes inactive). Go into com Addins and deselect the plugin, then click OK. Close excel. Restart excel and then turn the plugin back on. Test if it is fixed. If it doesn't fix the problem, do it again, but reboot your PC between turning off the plugin and turning it back on.

this process fixes 99.5% of weird behaviour I have seen. And I have seen a lot!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I had tried disabling and reenabling PP days ago but it didn't work, however earlier today I repaired office, uninstalled PP and reinstalled it and the problem was gone!
Thanks for your support!
Olivier.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chrissy_M

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back