Prepaid Expense Amortization Formula

Tracy2573

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have the following columns in my spreadsheet and would like to insert a formula that will automatically update all of the applicable months with the correct amount.

Vendor NameDescriptionAmountDate PaidStartEnd16-Jan16-Feb16-Mar16-Apr16-May16-Jun16-Jul16-Aug16-Sep16-Oct16-Nov16-Dec
TestData $ 12,000.002/25/201616-Jun16-Nov

<colgroup><col><col><col><col><col><col><col span="12"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Example: It needs to start in June and end on Nov but I want the formula to go in all columns so I can copy it down for the next prepaid item which may start in January.

Thank you,
Tracy

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Assuming the titles in your example above start from A1, so this formula goes into cell G2. After input, copied to the right and down.

IF(OR(G$1<$E2,G$1>$F2),0,$C2/(MONTH($F2)-MONTH($E2)+1))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks, but if I try this in a test spreadsheet it seems to work fine if I format my column headings using d/m/yy, and the same in the start and end date columns. But when I enter this formula into my actual spreadsheet and format the columns the same I am getting the error message #DIV/0! starting in the month it should begin. I do have a few more columns in my actual spreadsheet but I have updated the correct columns in the formula.

My columns start at A1 and go to U1. My required data are in the following: E=amount, F=start date, and G=end date, and J=January, etc, all the way to December. I would post a picture of it but I am not sure how to copy a couple of rows and columns and paste it here.

Does it matter how the cells are formatted when it comes to the date and dollar? I have tried it several ways.

Upvote 0
Hm, probably a difference in column references, as your OP seemed to indicate that your start date was in column E and end date in column F, but your new explanation seems to indicate other columns.
From what you now told me, the formula will probably need some adjustment.
You're best placed to check this, so make sure that where i now mention F2 you pick up the start date and where I mention G2, you pick up the end date.
I took a shot, based on the last info:

IF(OR(J$1<$F2,J$1>$G2),0,$C2/(MONTH($G2)-MONTH($F2)+1))

Upvote 0
I am still having issues, it is not dividing the amounts correctly. Is there any way I can send you an example of my spreadsheet?

Upvote 0
Oh, I finally got the formula to work. I had to format the start date as the first day of the month and the end date as the last day of the month because we always do them at month end. Thank you so much for your help with this.

Upvote 0
Sorry, one more question with this template, how would you adjust the formula if the term was for 3 years and it only happened once a year? For example every May?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
panjongshing

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back