Previous quarter not working

grapevine

Board Regular
I am relatively new to DAX and want to write a formula to compare this quarter with last quarter. I did not have a calendar table to I created one using the 2016 New Date Table command and then linked the Date fields together. Hopefully this is correct.

The formulas I have written are as follows:
This quarter
Code:
=CALCULATE(sum([Profit]),dateadd('Calendar'[Date],0,QUARTER))

Previous quarter
Code:
=CALCULATE(sum([Profit]),DATEADD('Calendar'[Date],-1,QUARTER))

When I display the results on the screen it just gives me the total alongside the current year so something is not calculating correctly
eg
2016 PQ = 30
2016 CQ = 30
2017 PQ = 7.5
2017 CQ = 7.5
Total PQ = 37.50
Total CQ = 37.50

which means if I subtract current quarter from previous quarter I always end up with 0
Can someone please point me in the right direction
Many thanks

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
What is the context that you are evaluating these in? What does your Date column look like and which quarter are you using?

Upvote 0
My date column in the original excel spreadsheet looks like this 31/03/2017, in the PowerPivot table it looks like 31/03/2017 00:00:00
In the calendar table I created from the Date Table Icon on the Design Tab in the PowerPivot window looks like 31/03/2017 00:00:00

The data sheet has a list of dates against which the cost of expenditure is recorded. I want to see whether the total spent of a client has gone up or down over the last quarter compared to the previous quarter and if possible I would like to be on a rolling three month so I don't have to do any intervention.

I hope this helps; if you want any more information please do let me know
Many thanks

Upvote 0
Sorry, I didn't really ask the right question.

Is the Calendar [Date] column a daily list of dates with no gaps?
do I understand correctly that you want to do this calculation for every single day, i.e. On 7 July 2016 the current quarter is 8 April 2016 to 7 July 2016 and the previous quarter the three months before that? If so Dateadd is not the right function as it shifts a block of dates back or forward.

Upvote 0
If that is what you want to do, take a look at the DATESINPERIOD function.

Something like.

Code:
Current Quarter:=
CALCULATE(
    SUM([Profit]),
    DATESINPERIOD(
        Calendar[Date],
        LASTDATE(Calendar[Date]),
        QUARTER
    )
)

Upvote 0
Sorry, only just seen your previous post. The Calendar Table was automatically created by clicking on the icon in the Design Tab and using Date Table.
I have just checked and the list of dates runs from 01/01//2013 to the 31/12/2017 without any gaps in the dates. The following columns were created and I have given an example of the data created

Date = 03/01/2013 00:00:00
Year = 2013
Month Number = 1
Month = January
MMM-YYYY = Jan-2013
Day of Week Number = 3
Day of Week = Tuesday

In my spreadsheet the dates run from 31/07/2013 to the 31/03/2017

The data is added on a monthly basis so all the dates in the spreadsheet are formatted as the end of the month 30/04/2017, 31/05/2017 etc. There are dates in everyrow and a profit figure in every row. I don't need a daily rolling figure as there are no individual days listed within the spreadsheet. I hope this helps

Upvote 0
Yeah, try DATESINPERIOD then and for the previous, use DATESADD to shift back a quarter.

Upvote 0
Yeah, try DATESINPERIOD then and for the previous, use DATESADD to shift back a quarter.

I could not work out why I was not getting any values and in despair, I started another PivotTable, pulled in the Measure and hey presto it is working. No idea why this should be by thankfully all is now good. I have used the above to get the differences and it is correctly showing.
Thank you, I have learnt a lot

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mr_ordinaryboy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back