Print specific rows on new page at end of document

sparky2205

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a spreadsheet that can vary greatly in length. It is used to record data from various processes which could result in the final document being 1 page or 10 pages.
There is a signoff section at the end of the document which compromises 7 rows. If the entirety of this section doesn't fit on one page at the end of the document I want the entire section to be moved to the next page so that the section is kept together. If there is enough room on the final page of the document it should remain on that page. The section must not be printed on every page, just the final page.

I don't like coming to the table with no starting attempt but my thought processes have led me down blind alleys to this point.
I was going in the direction of getting the last used row by hiding a piece of text in a hidden cell at the end of Column A, then using this as a starting point to subtract from the top of the page. Alas, I don't know how to get the top of the page so, as I said, blind alley.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
You could look for some known text which occurs in the last signoff row, and move the last page break if it occurs in the 7 signoff rows. For example, this macro looks for "SIGNOFF" in column A.

VBA Code:
Public Sub Move_Last_Page_Break3()

Dim originalView
    Dim signoffEndCell As Range
    Dim lastHPageBreak As HPageBreak

'Save current view and change it to Page Break Preview

With ActiveWindow
        originalView = .View
        .View = xlPageBreakPreview
    End With

'Look on the active sheet in the active workbook

With ActiveWorkbook.ActiveSheet

'Find last signoff row

Set signoffEndCell = .Columns("A").Find(What:="SIGNOFF", After:=.Range("A1"), LookIn:=xlFormulas2, LookAt:=xlPart, _
                                                SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False)

'If the last horizontal page break occurs within the 7 signoff rows move it above first signoff row

If .HPageBreaks(.HPageBreaks.Count).Location.Row > signoffEndCell.Row - 6 Then
            .HPageBreaks(.HPageBreaks.Count).Delete
            .HPageBreaks.Add Before:=signoffEndCell.Offset(-6)
        End If

End With

'Restore original view

ActiveWindow.View = originalView

End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi John,
thanks for your response and apologies for my tardy reply. The dreaded Covid caught up with me last week so I've only just gotten back to work and access to my files.
I have a bit of catching up to do so it will be later in the week before I test this out on my file. But I will be back before the end of the week as I am keen to try this out.

Upvote 0
Hi John,
this is very close. It is pushing the signing section onto the next page, but it appears to always do this regardless of how many rows are on the sheet.
What I want:
If there is room at the end of the page for the signing section then leave it at the end of the page. i.e. if the report is one page but there is room on that one page for the complete signing section leave it on that page. If there is only room for part of the signing section then move the entire signing section to the next page. The same if the report is 5 pages long etc.
I'm not sure if it's something I've done that is causing this behaviour, i.e. always moving the signing section to the next page.
What I did:
I copied your code into the ThisWorkbook section and ran it manually to see how it would work.
Maybe the spreadsheet is holding onto some settings from run to run? Because as soon as I open the file now and print preview the signing section is automatically on page 2.
The form will be set up as a template, of length 1 page, -which will be the starting point for each use. It will then be saved with the data as a different form.

One other part that didn't work is resetting the form to the OriginalView. It seems to stay in xlPageBreakView even though the original view is xlNormalView.
I understand why you did it this way; regardless of what the original view is it will always return to that view.
I overcame this by directly setting the view to xlNormalView at the end rather than using your OriginalView routine. I'll add the code as it looks now below for reference.

A question:
When this is in use the user will simply want to fill in the data and print the form.
Where should I put your code in order to facilitate this?
I was thinking of restricting normal printing and putting a PRINT button on the form. Then I could put the code in a BeforePrint event on the Worksheet.
But if there is a simpler way I'd be delighted to hear it.

VBA Code:

'Dim originalView
    Dim lastHPageBreak As HPageBreak

'    With ActiveWindow
'        originalView = .View
'        .View = xlPageBreakPreview
'    End With

MsgBox .HPageBreaks(.HPageBreaks.Count).Location.Row

'Find last signoff row

Set signoffEndCell = .Columns("A").Find(What:="SIGNOFF", After:=.Range("A1"), LookIn:=xlFormulas2, LookAt:=xlPart, _
                                                SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False)

'If the last horizontal page break occurs within the 7 signoff rows move it above first signoff row

End If

End With

'Restore original view

ActiveWindow.View = xlNormalView 'originalView

End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi John, I'm trying to upload a few examples but I'm having a problem with character restrictions.
Example 1: The data should print on one page with the signing section appended at the bottom of the data.
Example 2: The data should print on page 1 and the signing section on page 2. (This will be in a new message below, I hope)

Example 1:
Form-0683-(LIVE).xlsm
ABCDEFGHIJ
1Wall Thickness & Concentricity Measurement Report
2Instuctions: (i)Open the mastercopy of this form only and and "save as" with both the part number and the unique lot number as filename; e.g. "331561-1750012", in the appropriate project/customer folder on a shared drive (ii) All white boxes are to be completed or have " N/A" entered (iii) The number of decimal places required for each spec being measured should be entered under the min and max specs as per the specification on the front of the work order. Enter "1" for one decimal place, "2" for two decimal places and so on. (iv)Red cells under Bag # indicate a missing bag number. (v) Any red font indicates an out of spec measurement. (vi) The 1st sample number must be entered, this will usually be "1" but may be "81" if a second form is needed for example
3Part No.Lot No.Customer
4Min Sample Size:Sample Qty:0Wall mmConc %Conc mmID mm
5SpecificationMinn/an/a0.000n/a
6Maxn/a100%n/an/a
7Purpose of form:Decimal Places3
8Bag#Sample #Wall 1Wall 2Wall 3Wall 4Avg WallConc %Conc mmID
9n/an/an/an/an/an/an/an/an/a
10n/an/an/an/an/an/an/an/an/an/a
11n/an/an/an/an/an/an/an/an/an/a
12n/an/an/an/an/an/an/an/an/an/a
13n/an/an/an/an/an/an/an/an/an/a
14> Spec0000
15< Spec0000
16Gauge usedData entered by
17DescriptionGauge #Calibration due date (ddmmmyy)NameSignatureDate (ddmmmyy)
19n/an/an/a
20Data entered verified by
22SIGNOFFn/an/an/a
DATA
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
F4F4=COUNTIFS($B$9:$B12,"<>n/a",$B$9:$B12,"<>"&"")
A9:A13A9=IF(G9="n/a","n/a","")
G9:G13G9=IF(C9="n/a","n/a",AVERAGE(C9:F9))
H9:H13H9=IF($H$5="n/a","n/a",IF(G9="n/a","n/a",((MIN(C9:F9))/(MAX(C9:F9)))))
I9:I13I9=IF($I$6="n/a","n/a",IF(G9="n/a","n/a",(MAX(C9:F9))-(MIN(C9:F9))))
B10:B13B10=IF(A10="n/a","n/a",B9+1)
G14G14=SUM(IF(ISNUMBER($G$9:$G13),IF(ROUND($G$9:$G13,$G$7)>$G$6,1)))
H14H14=SUM(IF(ISNUMBER($H$9:$H13),IF(ROUND($H$9:$H13,$G$7)>$H$6,1)))
I14I14=SUM(IF(ISNUMBER($I$9:$I13),IF(ROUND($I$9:$I13,$G$7)>$I$6,1)))
J14J14=SUM(IF(ISNUMBER($J$9:$J13),IF(ROUND($J$9:$J13,$G$7)>$J$6,1)))
G15G15=SUM(IF(ISNUMBER($G$9:$G13),IF(ROUND($G$9:$G13,$G$7)<$G$5,1)))
H15H15=SUM(IF(ISNUMBER($H$9:$H13),IF(ROUND($H$9:$H13,$G$7)<$H$5,1)))
I15I15=SUM(IF(ISNUMBER($I$9:$I13),IF(ROUND($I$9:$I13,$G$7)<$I$5,1)))
J15J15=SUM(IF(ISNUMBER($J$9:$J13),IF(ROUND($J$9:$J13,$G$7)<$J$5,1)))
Cells with Conditional Formatting
CellConditionCell FormatStop If True
A13:J13Cell Value="n/a"textYES
J13Cell Value>$J$6textNO
G13Cell Value<$G$5textNO
G13Cell Value>$G$6textNO
J13Cell Value<$J$5textNO
I13Cell Value>$I$6textNO
I13:J13,C13:G13Expression=$G$7=1textNO
I13:J13,C13:G13Expression=$G$7=2textNO
I13:J13,C13:G13Expression=$G$7=3textNO
I13:J13,C13:G13Expression=$G$7=4textNO
I13:J13,C13:G13Expression=$G$7=5textNO
I13:J13,C13:G13Expression=$G$7=6textNO
A13Cell Value=""textNO
H13Cell Value<$H$5textNO
D18:E18Expression=AND($D18<>"",$D18<TODAY())textNO
G14:J15Cell Value<>0textNO
G5:G6Cell Value="n/a"textYES
I6Cell Value="n/a"textYES
J5:J6Cell Value="n/a"textYES
F14:F15,A9:J12Cell Value="n/a"textYES
J9:J12Cell Value>$J$6textNO
G9:G12Cell Value<$G$5textNO
G9:G12Cell Value>$G$6textNO
J9:J12Cell Value<$J$5textNO
I9:I12Cell Value>$I$6textNO
I5:J6,G5:G6,I9:J12,F14:F15,C9:G12Expression=$G$7=1textNO
I5:J6,G5:G6,I9:J12,F14:F15,C9:G12Expression=$G$7=2textNO
I5:J6,G5:G6,I9:J12,F14:F15,C9:G12Expression=$G$7=3textNO
I5:J6,G5:G6,I9:J12,F14:F15,C9:G12Expression=$G$7=4textNO
I5:J6,G5:G6,I9:J12,F14:F15,C9:G12Expression=$G$7=5textNO
I5:J6,G5:G6,I9:J12,F14:F15,C9:G12Expression=$G$7=6textNO
A9:A12Cell Value=""textNO
H9:H12Cell Value<$H$5textNO
Cells with Data Validation
CellAllowCriteria
C7:D7ListUsg Calibration, In-process Insp, Final Inspection
F14:F15Any value
G7List0,1,2,3,4,5,6
D18:E18Datebetween 01/01/1900 and 01/01/2099
C9:F13Custom=OR(ISNUMBER(C9),C9="n/a")

Upvote 0
John,
even stripping out all the formulas etc. with the extra lines the max character limit is exceeded.
Can you work with what I've already sent? Just add extra lines to force the scenarios we want to check.
I don't know exactly how XL2BB works, if it copies macros etc. but the spreadsheet does contain a macro to add rows.
If you need the password it's Test.

Upvote 0
A question:
When this is in use the user will simply want to fill in the data and print the form.
Where should I put your code in order to facilitate this?
I was thinking of restricting normal printing and putting a PRINT button on the form. Then I could put the code in a BeforePrint event on the Worksheet.
Put the code in a standard module. You can then call it from a button/shape or another macro or an event handler.

There isn't a BeforePrint event for a worksheet, only Workbook_BeforePrint for the workbook, and I don't know if it can tell if a specific sheet is being printed.

Can you work with what I've already sent? Just add extra lines to force the scenarios we want to check.
Yes, I can work with your Example 1, and for Example 2 I added extra rows to force the 7 signoff rows to be split between 2 pages. If it's easier, upload your workbook to a file sharing site and post the link to it.

A small tweak was needed to my macro because Example 1 is only 1 page and therefore there are no horizontal page breaks. Here is the modified macro which now moves the last page break if there is at least 1 page break. I also changed LookIn:=xlFormulas2 to LookIn:=xlFormulas.
VBA Code:

Dim originalView As XlWindowView

With ActiveWindow
        originalView = .View
    End With

'Find last signoff row

Set signoffEndCell = .Columns("A").Find(What:="SIGNOFF", After:=.Range("A1"), LookIn:=xlFormulas, LookAt:=xlPart, _

If .HPageBreaks.Count > 0 Then
            End If
        End If

End With

'Restore original view

End Sub
Here is Example 2 with the extra rows, before running the macro. It shows the signoff row on row 45 and a dashed blue line, indicating an automatic page break, on row 42.

1659118294811.png

After running the macro, the automatic page break has been changed to a manual page break, indicated by the solid blue line, on row 39, with the 7 signoff rows on Page 2.

1659118428561.png

Upvote 0
Hi John,
apologies again for my late reply. I'm having a bit of a tough time with my recovery from Covid.
The attached code works perfectly for the two scenarios described:
• print all on page 1 if it fits
• move the signoff section to page 2 if it doesn't fit
But it also needs to print at the end of data on subsequent sheets if it fits. The new code prints the signoff section at the end of sheet 1 it it fits and moves the signoff section to sheet 2 if it doesn't fit. That's fine.
But if we take that further; if the signoff section fits at the end of the data on sheet 2 it should print on sheet 2. If it doesn't fit it should be moved to sheet 3. Currently the signoff section gets moved to sheet 3 regardless. This should be the same for all sheets regardless of how many sheets there are in the report.
e.g. if the report expands to 7 pages then if there is room for the signoff section at the end of page 7 it should print on page 7. Otherwise move the signoff section to page 8.

I hope that's clear and thanks for bearing with me. Looks like it's almost there.

Upvote 0
Your description is very clear and I think I understand what you want, so I'm not sure why the macro isn't working for all cases. It doesn't matter how many pages are on the sheet because the macro looks for the last horizontal page break and moves it above the 7 signoff rows only if it occurs within the 7 signoff rows.

Try this modified macro which has some MsgBox debugging to show what it thinks is the last horizontal break break and the last signoff row and whether or not it moves the last horizontal page break.
VBA Code:

Dim originalView As XlWindowView

With ActiveWindow
        originalView = .View
    End With

'Find last signoff row

Set signoffEndCell = .Columns("A").Find(What:="SIGNOFF", After:=.Range("A1"), LookIn:=xlFormulas, LookAt:=xlPart, _

If .HPageBreaks.Count > 0 Then
            MsgBox "Number of horizontal page breaks = " & .HPageBreaks.Count & vbCrLf & _
                   "Last horizontal page break row = " & .HPageBreaks(.HPageBreaks.Count).Location.Row & vbCrLf & _
                   "Last signoff row = " & signoffEndCell.Row
                MsgBox "Last horizontal page break moved to row " & .HPageBreaks(.HPageBreaks.Count).Location.Row
            Else
                MsgBox "Last horizontal page break not moved"
            End If
        End If

End With

'Restore original view

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back