Program Doesn't Allow Conditional Change of Font Color Without Affecting Fill

jdpro

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hello,

I read an old thread on this topic but there wasn't a resolution to it.

If I want to see all <0 values as red text, there is a preset in Conditional Formatting that will change the text to red, and it doesn't change the existing fill color. Just what I need.

But if I want to change cells that contain =today() to blue or something, it strips the fill color so that cell is now clear with blue font. I would like the font to change but keep my existing fill. I didn't make any changes when specifying the custom format other than the font color. But "no fill" is automatically applied and there doesn't seem to be an option that doesn't override existing fill, the way the red font preset works. Would it be possible to get it to work like the red font preset, or is that not available?

Thanks in advance for your insight on this.

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
Well, this is actually pretty cool. 2nd time in as many days, I posted a question/problem I was having, fiddled with it some more, and the problem went away. So if Office people watch the boards and fix little things like this that come through, that's smart and I'm happy.

What changed when I went back to try things is that instead of "no fill" as an option it now shows as "no color." I went back to see if there would be a difference between "Use a formula" vs. "Format only cells that contain." When I tried it, voila, it worked! And then I tried the other one and it worked. So I'm not sure if this is the proper way to do it, but I'll just mark this as the solution to the problem.

Thanks Mr Excel :)

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back