Progress notification with screen updating set to FALSE

mark hansen

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have search this and other forums to see if I could find a way to notify a user of the progress of an update with screen updating set to false. Although I found other interesting ways to use screen updating, I haven't found any answers the questions I have.

I have an update process that pulls in the contents of 4 files so we can use current data. This process runs in about 24 seconds with screening updating set to TRUE or FALSE.... But of course with Screen updating turned off, the user won't see the screen flashing as it copies in the contents of each file - a more polished look for the product.

As the process takes 24 seconds, I'd like to keep them apprised of the progress. I tried turning screen updating to TRUE, make a cell say something regarding the progress, then set Screen updating back to FALSE. Next time for an progress update, perform the same tasks, Screen updating = TRUE, change the contents of the cell, and set updating to FALSE.

That's not work so I was wondering if there are any other ideas. Perhaps a user form, or a text box. Will those update even though screen updating is set to FALSE?

Any other way to "crack this nut"

Thanks for any ideas,
Mark

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
maybe
VBA Code:
application.cursor = xlwait
so you can have the mouse with the loading circle.

Upvote 0
I do get the dreaded hour glass because of my settings. So that's something.

After it's all done I have a message box pop up telling them it's done... But I was hope to get something to show between after file 1 and before file 2 --- then after file 2 and before file 3 and then the final message. (which I have done the final message.

Well, it's not a show stopper. I wanted to add something for them to watch while it's updating.

Thanks for your ideas.

Upvote 0
Just create a simple userform and put a progress message in it, updating the test as you go. You might have to use the Repaint command to update the text.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the idea [U]dispelthemyth,[/U] that seems to be working nicely. I have four boxes that change color as each file is brought in and a label box explaining what file is being brought in now.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back