Projected GPA

SFCChase

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a rather involved gradebook that gives me running GPA's based off exam scores (exam scores are calculated through initial and retest scores if necessary). I was recently told that we are altering our program and I need to calculate a "best possible" GPA as students progress through the course. Is there a formula that will give me a "best possible GPA" without entering a 100 in for every exam that hasn't been taken?

Due to security protocols I cannot download XL2BB so the table below is an example what I have in place already. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
StudentExam 1Retest 1Exam 1 scoreExam 2Retest 2Exam 2 scoreExam 3Retest 3Exam 3 scoreExam 4Retest 4Exam 4 scoreExam 5 scoreExam 6 scoreExam 7 scoreExam 8 scoreFailuresGPABest GPA
Adams1001001001001001001001000100100
Davis7676748074808070767027588
Smith208020308030767674807435075

In the example above all of the exam # score columns have the following formula to calculate a final score (retests must get above a 76 but will maintain original score) =IF($B2>=76,B2,IF(AND(B2="",C2>=76),C2,IF(AND(B2<76,C2>=76),B2,0)))
This searches initial grade and returns score if it's over 76...if it's less than 76 and the retest is over 76 a score of 76 is returned. If there is no initial exam and the retest is over 76 they receive that score. If initial and retest are below 76, they get a zero.

Failures is calculated by the following formula
=COUNTIF(B2,"<76")+COUNTIFS(B2,"",C2,"<76)+COUNTIF(E2,"<76")+COUNTIFS(E2,"",F2,"<76)+COUNTIF(H2,"<76")+COUNTIFS(H2,"",I2,"<76)+COUNTIF(K2,"<76")+COUNTIFS(K2,"",L2,"<76)+COUNTIF(N2,"<76")+COUNTIFS(N2,"",O2,"<76)+COUNTIF(Q2,"<76")+COUNTIFS(Q2,"",R2,"<76)+COUNTIF(T2,"<76")+COUNTIFS(T2,"",U2,"<76)+COUNTIF(W2,"<76")+COUNTIFS(W2,"",X2,"<76)

GPA is calculated by using the following formula
=AVERAGE(D2,G2,J2,M2,P2,S2,V2)

If I can get a formula to calculate BEST GPA (i.e. they get 100 on all future exams) I can project to a point where they are unable to maintain a 76 average (Smith) so that they can be relieved.

Okay…in the instance where a Retest B becomes necessary, where is that score entered? Is a new column added to the table to accommodate retest B or is the score inserted in the existing retest column?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
Okay…in the instance where a Retest B becomes necessary, where is that score entered? Is a new column added to the table to accommodate retest B or is the score inserted in the existing retest column?
The training developers end up going in after the fact and moving the original failure (retest A) into the initial column (by this point the item analysis has been completed) and the retest B score is entered into retest A (if passed....if failed, the original failing retest A stays in place and the student is relieved).

I know it's not the best system, but it was the best I could come up with.

Upvote 0
That's okay...and thanks. I was mainly interested in understanding if the table structure remained consistent. That is, each exam requires exactly three columns. That keeps your options open in terms of using formulas that hardwire specific cell addresses or formulas that treat the entire row as an array and then use some additional logic to identify only the columns of interest within the array.

Does the number of exams ever change?

In the discussion with @igold, a key point concerned what the workflow looks like. Specifically, is the table initially prepopulated with the IF(AND formula in all "exam # score" columns? If so, then you will have 0's in all of those columns before any actual scores are entered.

Upvote 0
@KRice, I was not inclined to get into all of the OP's pasted formulas especially when I saw at the bottom of the post that this formula was incorrect
GPA is calculated by using the following formula
=AVERAGE(D2,G2,J2,M2,P2,S2,V2)
in that Y2 as omitted for the eighth exam and his table was only showing what would have been columns up to Column Q, yet he included S2 and V2. I assumed for the sake of brevity he posted like that but in actuality he would extend the grid out to 8 exams. All that being said combined with the incorrect formula being shown, I perhaps took the easy way out by providing a formula that answered the main question
Is there a formula that will give me a "best possible GPA" without entering a 100 in for every exam that hasn't been taken?
Kudos to you for taking the time to run down all the other formulas. In my Post #5, that mockup worked to answer his question. He is lucky you took the time to tie all his formulas together.🍻

Upvote 0
That's okay...and thanks. I was mainly interested in understanding if the table structure remained consistent. That is, each exam requires exactly three columns. That keeps your options open in terms of using formulas that hardwire specific cell addresses or formulas that treat the entire row as an array and then use some additional logic to identify only the columns of interest within the array.

Does the number of exams ever change?

In the discussion with @igold, a key point concerned what the workflow looks like. Specifically, is the table initially prepopulated with the IF(AND formula in all "exam # score" columns? If so, then you will have 0's in all of those columns before any actual scores are entered.
The structure of the entire workbook does remain consistent throughout the program. The course is broken up into 2 phases but there are 11 exams in phase I and 18 exams in Phase II. I have the workbook preloaded with formulas and a blank copy gets opened for each new class.

By the time i finish this thing they'll decide to alter the number of exams I'm sure.

Upvote 0
Good point, @igold about the AVERAGE formula. Even if all of the relevant cells were included in AVERAGE, there still remains the issue about excluding 0's from consideration. Based on the OP's latest clarifications, it sounds as if "internal" 0's are not an issue (i.e., what should otherwise be considered a legitimate 0 score because the student completely avoided the exam and retest opportunities and then took subsequent exams that produced non-zero scores). If that's not realistic because of the "relief" measures described by the OP, then the only 0's that need to be excluded from counts are those representing exams not yet taken (assuming the IF(AND formula is pre-populated in the "exam # score" columns).

To make it clear how many actual scores are being considered, I still think it makes sense to include a helper column showing the number of exams scored (see post #7, the AC2 formula) which determines the last scored exam. That value is used by my formulas and could be used in place of the COUNT construction in the offering from @igold to make that approach more robust and avoid counting 0's.

By the time i finish this thing they'll decide to alter the number of exams I'm sure.
@SFCChase...this wouldn't surprise me. For that reason, I would consider an array approach where practical. The formulas look messier, but you will avoid hardwiring numerous single cell references in the formulas. And if you expand or collapse the table size by inserting/deleting three columns at a time between the last two 3-column blocks, the formulas will automatically adjust...so no editing would be necessary for the formulas in Failures, GPA, Best GPA, and Last Exam. You'll still need to paste/edit the headers (unless you want to automatically label those with a formula) and the IF(AND formulas will need to be pasted in the "exam # score" columns. Of all of these, converting the Failures formula to use arrays was the most challenging because of the COUNTIFS components. I think I finally arrived at something that works. In the mini-sheet below, I've expanded the table to confirm that the formulas dynamically adjust to the new size and I've added formulas for the column headings so if the table changes in size, the headings should relabel themselves. With an older version of Excel, some of these formulas may need to be entered with Ctrl-Shift-Enter rather than Enter, and if done successfully, you should see curly brackets automatically surround the formula. Try this where the formulas do not appear to produce the expected results.

Let me know if you have any questions or encounter any issues.
MrExcel_20220808.xlsx
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZAAABACADAEAFAGAHAI
1StudentExam 1Retest 1Exam 1 ScoreExam 2Retest 2Exam 2 ScoreExam 3Retest 3Exam 3 ScoreExam 4Retest 4Exam 4 ScoreExam 5Retest 5Exam 5 ScoreExam 6Retest 6Exam 6 ScoreExam 7Retest 7Exam 7 ScoreExam 8Retest 8Exam 8 ScoreExam 9Retest 9Exam 9 ScoreExam 10Retest 10Exam 10 ScoreFailuresGPABest GPALatest Exam
2Adams1001001001001001001001000100100075000162.570.08
3Davis76767480748080707670717507507176717507500741.247.19
4Smith208020308030767674807472767200000454.477.25
SFCChase
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1:AE1B1=CHOOSE(MOD(COLUMN($B$1:$AE$1)-COLUMN($B$1),3)+1,"Exam "&INT((COLUMN($B$1:$AE$1)-COLUMN($B$1))/3)+1,"Retest "& INT((COLUMN($B$1:$AE$1)-COLUMN($B$1))/3)+1,"Exam "& INT((COLUMN($B$1:$AE$1)-COLUMN($B$1))/3)+1 & " Score")
AE2:AE4,AB2:AB4,Y2:Y4,V2:V4,S2:S4,P2:P4,M2:M4,J2:J4,G2:G4,D2:D4AE2=IF(AC2>=76,AC2,IF(AND(AC2="",AD2>=76),AD2,IF(AND(AC2<76,AD2>=76),AC2,0)))
AF2:AF4AF2=SUM(ISNUMBER($B2:$AE2)*($B2:$AE2<76)*(MOD(COLUMN($B$1:$AE$1)-COLUMN($B$1),3)+1=1)) + SUM(IF(($B2:$AE2="")*(MOD(COLUMN($B$1:$AE$1)-COLUMN($B$1),3)+1=1),IF(ISNUMBER(INDEX($B2:$AE2,,COLUMN($B2:$AE2)-COLUMN($B2)+2)),IF(INDEX($B2:$AE2,,COLUMN($B2:$AE2)-COLUMN($B2)+2)<76,1,0))))
AG2:AG4AG2=SUMPRODUCT($B2:$AE2,--(MOD(COLUMN($B$1:$AE$1)-COLUMN($B$1),3)+1=3))/$AI2
AH2:AH4AH2=($AG2*$AI2+100*(COLUMNS($B$1:$AE$1)/3-$AI2))/(COLUMNS($B$1:$AE$1)/3)
AI2:AI4AI2=INT(LOOKUP(2,1/(ISNUMBER($B2:$AE2)*(MOD(COLUMN($B$1:$AE$1)-COLUMN($B$1),3)+1<>3)),COLUMN($B$1:$AE$1)-COLUMN($B$1)+1)/3)+1
Dynamic array formulas.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vivek chauhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back