Protect cells in unprotected sheet

vorrl

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have an excel workbook containing of user input cells (B3:C8) and cells containing formulas (E3:E8).
The entire workbook shall be protected, but users shall be able to unprotect it and add data into (B3:C8).
I'd like all other cells to remain protected

I know that I could achieve a result by protecting (B3:C8) with one password and the other cells with another passord, but can it be done without use of passwords?

Attachments

• example.jpg
    example.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 12

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Welcome to the Board!

If that is really what you want to do, why bother protecting ALL the cells, if you want to allow users to unprotect certain cells so they can edit data.
Why not just protect all cells on the sheet except for B3:C8?
That way, users do not have to protect/unprotect anything, and can only edit the cells you want them to.

Upvote 0
I know, this would of course be the easiest way to do it - but I have been given a requirement that the entire sheet shall be protected when opening it

Upvote 0
I know, this would of course be the easiest way to do it - but I have been given a requirement that the entire sheet shall be protected when opening it
I fail to see the purpose, if you are just going to allow them to unprotect with no password.
Trying to have different levels of protection with no passwords really kind of defeats the purpose of using protection (since they can easily unprotect it).
I am not even sure that is possible.

I cannot think of doing what you want to do without using VBA, where you have different procedures to protect/unprotect different ranges.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BatCoder

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back