Pulling data from multiple sheets

missionastar

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello all. I'm new to this so this may be a very basic question. I'm putting together College information, so i have multiple spreadsheets, like this
InstitutionED Acceptance RateRD Acceptance Rate (2)Maximum Percent of Class Filled from ED (1)
Bates College46%10%81%
Dartmouth College26%7%51%
Claremont McKenna College35%10%71%
Northwestern University25%7%58%
Carleton College60%19%51%

ANd then another sheet like this
CostUGInt%Int
Cornell University$76,25814,9761,55310%
Dartmouth College$77,1524,36542810%
Harvard University$73,8006,76081412%
Northwestern University$78,6548,18684110%
Princeton University$74,1505,32863812%
Stanford University$74,5706,91174711%

And I want to combine the sheets with a master sheet with all the data about each university
I'm guessing it's quite easy - how do I accomplish this?
Thanks

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
It would be helpful if you could post a manually created master to show the end result. I noticed that not all the institutions in the first sheet exist in the second sheet. Also, are all the sheets in the same workbook? Please clarify in detail.

Upvote 0
Thanks @mumps - so there are 2 lists with scraped data. There will be some issues with the institution lists as they are different (one has about 400 universities, the other about 300). I've done my best to preserve names across both but there will be some data cleaning to do later where I've got the same institution with slightly different names (St. Mary's vs Saint Marys etc)
The end goal would be to have something like this, with the Columns from Sheet 1 and the Columns from Sheet 2 on the same Master sheet
ED Acceptance RateRD Acceptance Rate (2)Maximum Percent of Class Filled from ED (1)UGInt%Int
Bates College
46%​
10%​
81%​
$76,258
14,976​
1,553​
10%​
Dartmouth College
26%​
7%​
51%​
$77,152
4,365​
428​
10%​
Claremont McKenna College
35%​
10%​
71%​
$73,800
6,760​
814​
12%​
Northwestern University
25%​
7%​
58%​
$78,654
8,186​
841​
10%​
Carleton College
60%​
19%​
51%​
$74,150
5,328​
638​
12%​

Upvote 0
I'm a little confused. In the example you posted in Post #3, the cost for Claremont McKenna College is $73,800. However, this cost is associated with Harvard University in the data you posted in Post #1. The problem is the same for Bates College and Cornell University, Princeton University and Carleton College. Do you not want the data in the two sheets to match? Also, in your latest post, Stanford University and Princeton University are missing.

Upvote 0
Hi @mumps , thank you for your help!

To clarify - the information in the first post contained the first few data points from 2 much longer lists with several hundred universities. Although the information in each list is similar, the lists do not contain all the same institutions (places that don't offer ED, for example, are not present in the first list).

I just copied some random data into the second post to show what the final table should look like in principle - and yes, this meant copying and pasting the cost info associated with the wrong colleges, which caused the confusion - I also messed up the headings, which doesn't help - it was just to give an idea of the form of the end result .

Essentially I want a master sheet with all universities in the first column, all the ED information from the first spreadsheet in the next 5 columns (if available), and the cost information form the second spreadsheet in the subsequent columns.

Upvote 0
Try this macro. Make sure that your workbook has three sheets. Change the sheet names (in red) to suit your needs.
Rich (BB code):
Sub PullData()
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Dim LastRow As Long, srcWS1 As Worksheet, srcWS2 As Worksheet, desWS As Worksheet, i As Long, v1 As Variant, v2 As Variant, dic As Object
    Set srcWS1 = Sheets("Sheet1")
    Set srcWS2 = Sheets("Sheet2")
    Set desWS = Sheets("Sheet3")
    With desWS
        .Range("A1").Resize(, 8).Value = Array("Institution", "ED Acceptance Rate", "RD Acceptance Rate (2)", "Maximum Percent of Class Filled from ED (1)", "UG", "Int", "%Int")
        srcWS1.UsedRange.Offset(1).Copy .Range("A2")
    End With
    v1 = srcWS1.Range("A2", srcWS1.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)).Value
    v2 = srcWS2.Range("A2", srcWS2.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)).Resize(, 5).Value
    Set dic = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")
    For i = 1 To UBound(v1, 1)
        dic.Add v1(i, 1), i + 1
    Next i
    For i = 1 To UBound(v2, 1)
        If dic.Exists(v2(i, 1)) Then
            desWS.Range("E" & dic(v2(i, 1))).Resize(, 4) = Array(v2(i, 2), v2(i, 3), v2(i, 4), v2(i, 5))
        Else
            With desWS
                .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0) = v2(i, 1)
                LastRow = .Cells.Find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row
                .Range("E" & LastRow).Resize(, 4) = Array(v2(i, 2), v2(i, 3), v2(i, 4), v2(i, 5))
            End With
        End If
    Next i
    desWS.Columns.AutoFit
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
Wow! This looks amazing! Thank you @mumps so much for taking the time to put this together. I look forward to putting it into practice and will report back with progress. I am hugely grateful for your efforts.

Upvote 0
You are very welcome. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back