Pulling Unique Data from a Table A Certain Number of Times (Advanced)

NathanGMcG

Hi Everyone,

I don't think this problem is actually very difficult. But I'm stumped. If you can take a look for me I'd really appreciate it.

Basically, I need to summarise all the labour hour costing for each month. I have a list of staff who, for their work each day, record the: jobs, codes for that job, and hours for that.

Sample Source Data:

Datestamp Name Job 1 Code 1 Hours
18/08/2017 Chainz Graham 247 - Dixon Stage 5 08-Other
19/08/2017 Jury Herewini 252 - Kay Rd Cutdown 02-Roading 8:00:00
20/08/2017 Adam Young 247 - Dixon Stage 5 08-Other 3:00:00
21/08/2017 Adam Young 250 - 132 Kay Rd Subdivision 03-Stormwater 9:30:00

At the end of each month I want to sum all the hours assigned to each code so that I end up with a tidy list.

Sample Desired Projected Data:

Adam Young 250 - 132 Kay Rd Subdivision 02-Roading 43
Adam Young 250 - 132 Kay Rd Subdivision 03-Stormwater 17
Adam Young 252 - Kay Rd Cutdown 03-Stormwater 40
Chainz Graham 250 - 132 Kay Rd Subdivision 02-Roading 38
Chainz Graham 250 - 132 Kay Rd Subdivision 03-Stormwater 42
Connor Herewini 250 - 132 Kay Rd Subdivision 06-Concrete 29

The difficult thing is that I only want the name, project and code to appear if the worker had hours assigned to that code for the month. So in the final list, I want three Adam's to appear if he worked on three different job codes, and so on for jobs and codes.

Please don't worry about the hours column, a simple SUMIF function can get that job done. I can also get the correct number of names to come up easily, but the project and code I'm having trouble with.

Here's a sample spreadsheet to work with below which you can download:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3g0HucRa0WmX2o5RGwyU3VEYmM/view?usp=sharing

You will see the method I am attempting by the intermediate data in the sheet. You may find a better solution and ditch that method altogether. I'm open to suggestions.

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Hi Nathan,

I added a sheet to your file on Google Drive

Honestly, I think by far the best option would be to just use a Pivot table, summaries like this are the main feature of a pivot table and it takes just a few clicks to produce what you need.

In case formula solution is definitely needed, there's a neat way to use array formulas to create a distinct list from a data-set, that can be tweaked a bit to create the distinct list from concatenated rows. Once you have that, you can just separate the concatenated unique values.

This array formula (enter with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER) gives you the list of unique concatenated values (pasted in cell J2 and dragged down)
{=IFERROR(INDEX(CONCATENATE(names,"",jobs,"",codes),MATCH(0,COUNTIF($J$1:J1,CONCATENATE(names,"",jobs,"",codes)),0)),"")}

(edit: I just realized this forum removes the \ characters from the formula above, it's there between each double " marks)

'names', 'jobs' and 'codes' and named ranges for the relevant columns

I used \ to link them, this can be used to separate the 3 columns afterwards using something like these
(K2)name =IFERROR(LEFT(J2,FIND("",J2)-1),"")
(L2)job =IFERROR(LEFT(SUBSTITUTE(J2,K2&"",""),FIND("",SUBSTITUTE(J2,K2&"",""))-1),"")
(M2)code =IFERROR(RIGHT(J2,LEN(J2)-LEN(K2)-LEN(L2)-2),"")

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LightArisen

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back