So i have this

corridor1 2
corridor2 2
corridor3 2
outilane4 2
outilane1 2
outilane3 2
outilane2 2

column A for corridor i have a count of 3 and outilane a count of 4. Column B i'm told that i must delete an amount with a value of what is to be left, in this case
i need to have 2 of corridor and 2 of outilane left.

so i need to put in column C a value of "leave" or "delete" but it depends on the last digit in each name. so for corridor i have 1,2 and 3 and for outilane
i have 1,2,3 and 4. for corridor i need to delete 1 but it must be corridor3. for outilane i have to delete 2 but it
must be 3 and 4, so the last in each. is this possible? or even understandable! its not possible to have the list organised according to last value I'm sorry to say.

Much thanks in advance

Carl

=MID(Network_DATA!$A4,SEARCH("TRX-",Network_DATA!$A4)+4,SEARCH("/trx",Network_DATA!$A4)-3)

this is what i have in Col B and gives a rumber, but i'm only getting the result of "Leave". if i change the result of the cell to a value it works?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
ah ok so if i put this in B it seems to work

=VALUE(MID(Network_DATA!$A2,SEARCH("TRX-",Network_DATA!$A2)+4,SEARCH("/trx",Network_DATA!$A2)-3))

thanks again for your help, that's twice this month you've saved me and understood my ramblings, you're a star

Upvote 0
The MID function (along with LEFT & RIGHT among others) always return text, not numbers.

Glad you sorted it & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0
Solution
Hi Again,

So, this works most of the time

=IF(J76=4,1,IF(COUNTIFS(A:A,A76,B:B,"<"&B76)<D76,"1","3"))

But if J doesnt equal 4 and B is less than the other value in B that does equal 4 then i need to be 3, and at the moment its not.

any further help much appreciated, again :D

Carl

Upvote 0
to try and make things clearer,

in A i have multiple copies where some are equal, in B i have a list of values. in J i have either 4 or 0,1,3. if J=4, then result is always 1. if J is anything else then depending on count of B compared with D would result in either a 3 or 1. hope this helps

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rscraig11

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back