Question about dates.

superbeast326

Board Regular
I have two columns, A and B. Both have 50 rows. Column A is filled entirely with "No". What I want is that the moment I switch a row in Column A to "Yes". I want the row in Column B to store the date that the change was made. Is this possible?

One more question:

If I have five numbers and I want to check if all the numbers are equal to one another. Do I have to use an AND function, or can I just use Number1=Number2=Number3=Number4=Number5?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Well I tried it, just out of curiosity, and got results which I don't understand (not the first time :) ).

With this formula
Code:
=A1=A2=A3
I get these results....

A1...........blank.....1.........1.........2
A2...........blank.....blank....1.........1
A3...........blank.....blank....1.........1
Result......FALSE....TRUE....FALSE...FALSE

I understand the 4th result, but not the first 3 results.
I'm guessing Excel fundamentally doesn't like the =x=x=x syntax.
Can anyone shed some light on this ?
I'm just curious, I don't have a practical application for this.

Upvote 0
Well I tried it, just out of curiosity, and got results which I don't understand (not the first time :) ).

With this formula
Code:
=A1=A2=A3
I get these results....

A1...........blank.....1.........1.........2
A2...........blank.....blank....1.........1
A3...........blank.....blank....1.........1
Result......FALSE....TRUE....FALSE...FALSE

I understand the 4th result, but not the first 3 results.
I'm guessing Excel fundamentally doesn't like the =x=x=x syntax.
Can anyone shed some light on this ?
I'm just curious, I don't have a practical application for this.
Tried it. And then looked at the "Formula Evaluation". It looks as if Excel treats it in much similar way as an IF would be. So if we consider Case blank then:
A1=A2 results in TRUE which is then compared with A3 [blank] which it takes as 0 so TRUE and 0 don't match and it returns FALSE.

Upvote 0
Thanks Taurean. I had to go through that a couple of times, but I think it makes sense now. I wonder if there is a practical application for that ? :)

Upvote 0
Is it possible to adjust column width according to a number of pixels. If not, can someone please tell me what number, that is the equivalent to 48 pixels, should I type in the column width adjustment window?

Upvote 0
I would imagine that adjusting column width to take account of screen pixels would also need to take account of whatever zoom factor you are currently using.

Upvote 0
.. can someone please tell me what number, that is the equivalent to 48 pixels, should I type in the column width adjustment window?
No, since there isn't a single correct answer. It depends on the font used in your 'Normal' style. Ref: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/214123

However, when you manually adjust a column width it is shown in both characters and pixels so surely you can just manually adjust a column on your sheet until it shows 48 pixels and look at the column width number that is also displayed as you adjust?

Gerald: I think if you test, you'll find that changing the zoom does not change the character or pixel width of the column, just what it looks like. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks Peter. I see what you mean, that when you manually adjust column width, you get a box showing width in pixels.

But, on the other hand, if I have a column of width, say, 1 pixel, as in 1 single screen element, and I double the zoom factor, then surely the column now takes up 2 screen elements, and 2 pixels ? *

Does Excel mean something else when it refers to pixels ?

* I'm assuming of course that the zoom factor is a linear, 1 dimensional ratio, rather than 2D :)

Hasn't this thread taken a strange turn from the OP ? :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hochanz

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back