Question about dates.

superbeast326

Board Regular
I have two columns, A and B. Both have 50 rows. Column A is filled entirely with "No". What I want is that the moment I switch a row in Column A to "Yes". I want the row in Column B to store the date that the change was made. Is this possible?

This is in another worksheet. I have two ranges C3:E52 and C56:E105. In the first range, I have text in the format, [Name 1] vs [Name 2], in every cell. What I want is for the cells in the second range to be populated with DV lists with each list containing the [Name 1] and [Name 2] in their corresponding cell in the first range.

Which means DV List in C56 contains [Name 1] and [Name 2] in C3, and so on and so forth.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
So you have 150 cells (C3:E52) each with 2 names separated by " vs " and you want to create Data Validation in C56:E105 with drop-down lists containing those 300 names? Or is it just 2 names for cell C56, 2 names for C57 etc

Upvote 0
This seems to work for a small 2-cell test area I used so you should be able to adapt it to your layout.

<font face=Courier New><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> DV()<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> Rng1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range, Rng2 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range, c <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> rowdiff <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN>, coldiff <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> DVvals <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN><br>    <br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> Rng1 = Range("C3:C4")   <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'<- Change to suit</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> Rng2 = Range("F5:F6")   <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'<- Change to suit</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> Rng1.Rows.Count = Rng2.Rows.Count And _<br>            Rng1.Columns.Count = Rng2.Columns.Count <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>        rowdiff = Rng1.Row - Rng2.Row<br>        coldiff = Rng1.Column - Rng2.Column<br>        Rng2.Validation.Delete<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Each</SPAN> c <SPAN style="color:#00007F">In</SPAN> Rng2.Cells<br>            DVvals = c.Offset(rowdiff, coldiff).Value<br>            DVvals = Replace(DVvals, " vs ", ",", 1, -1, vbTextCompare)<br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> Len(DVvals) > 0 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>                <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> c.Validation<br>                    .Add Type:=xlValidateList, AlertStyle:=xlValidAlertStop, _<br>                        Operator:=xlBetween, Formula1:=DVvals<br>                    .IgnoreBlank = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN><br>                    .InCellDropdown = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN><br>                    .InputTitle = ""<br>                    .ErrorTitle = ""<br>                    .InputMessage = ""<br>                    .ErrorMessage = ""<br>                    .ShowInput = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN><br>                    .ShowError = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN><br>                <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> c<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br></FONT>

Upvote 0
Thee questions,
1. Where should I put this code?

2. Which of my ranges should I set as rng1 and rng2?

3. Could you please explain to me what each line of the code mean?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thee questions,
1. Where should I put this code?

2. Which of my ranges should I set as rng1 and rng2?

3. Could you please explain to me what each line of the code mean?

1. In a standard module (Insert|Module)

2. Read the code, even if you don't fully understand it, there's some good hints in there. Otherwise, do a test in a dummy worksheet and see.

3. Sorry, I think I've just about put enough time into this thread and it's nearly midnight here. You can step through the code a line at a time with F8, and hover over variables to see their value or swith to the worksheet to see what the line of code did, look in the Help etc.

Upvote 0
However, using of F8 does not aid me in understanding it, could you please take the time to explain to me, what each line means? I really need an understanding.

Upvote 0
Also, how can I code a macro that allows me to reset the DV lists so that all the cells in the worksheet, with the DV lists will become blank, thus allowing me a fresh start.

This is so that I can keep testing and resetting as I am developing the workbook.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Help in understanding VBA Code in another thread

Before I begin, I would like to extend my gratitude to Peter_SSs, for his time and patience in answering my questions in the thread titled, "Question about Dates".

In another thread, created by me, he gave me a VBA Code to help me with a problem. The only problem is that, I do not understand why the code works the way it does. Here is the code:
Code:
[FONT=Courier][COLOR=#00007F]Sub[/COLOR] DV()
    [COLOR=#00007F]Dim[/COLOR] Rng1 [COLOR=#00007F]As[/COLOR] Range, Rng2 [COLOR=#00007F]As[/COLOR] Range, c [COLOR=#00007F]As[/COLOR] Range
    [COLOR=#00007F]Dim[/COLOR] rowdiff [COLOR=#00007F]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=#00007F]Long[/COLOR], coldiff [COLOR=#00007F]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=#00007F]Long[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#00007F]Dim[/COLOR] DVvals [COLOR=#00007F]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=#00007F]String[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#00007F]Set[/COLOR] Rng1 = Range("C3:C4")   [COLOR=#007F00]'<- Change to suit[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#00007F]Set[/COLOR] Rng2 = Range("F5:F6")   [COLOR=#007F00]'<- Change to suit[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#00007F]If[/COLOR] Rng1.Rows.Count = Rng2.Rows.Count And _
            Rng1.Columns.Count = Rng2.Columns.Count [COLOR=#00007F]Then[/COLOR]
        rowdiff = Rng1.Row - Rng2.Row
        coldiff = Rng1.Column - Rng2.Column
        Rng2.Validation.Delete
        [COLOR=#00007F]For[/COLOR] [COLOR=#00007F]Each[/COLOR] c [COLOR=#00007F]In[/COLOR] Rng2.Cells
            DVvals = c.Offset(rowdiff, coldiff).Value
            DVvals = Replace(DVvals, " vs ", ",", 1, -1, vbTextCompare)
            [COLOR=#00007F]If[/COLOR] Len(DVvals) > 0 [COLOR=#00007F]Then[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=#00007F]With[/COLOR] c.Validation
                    .Add Type:=xlValidateList, AlertStyle:=xlValidAlertStop, _
                        Operator:=xlBetween, Formula1:=DVvals
                    .IgnoreBlank = [COLOR=#00007F]True[/COLOR]
                    .InCellDropdown = [COLOR=#00007F]True[/COLOR]
                    .InputTitle = ""
                    .ErrorTitle = ""
                    .InputMessage = ""
                    .ErrorMessage = ""
                    .ShowInput = [COLOR=#00007F]True[/COLOR]
                    .ShowError = [COLOR=#00007F]True[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=#00007F]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=#00007F]With[/COLOR]
            [COLOR=#00007F]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=#00007F]If[/COLOR]
        [COLOR=#00007F]Next[/COLOR] c
    [COLOR=#00007F]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=#00007F]If[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#00007F]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=#00007F]Sub
[COLOR=black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]

Could someone please take the time to explain to me the above code, line by line.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ralemanygarcia

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back