question about macro for news harvesting Excel file

creuben

I hope my question is not redundant for this forum; I only want the most rudimentary solution to get data from a series of RSS links that provides data in XML format into a series of blocks (sets of columns of rows and sheets) in an additional sheet. I am working in Excel 2003 (and Windows XP, if that matters).

Here is what I have so far: a series of URLs to the RSS feeds in column F starting in row 2 and going to row 5858.

Each of those URLs generates data that fits in columns A through R, and generally spans rows 1 (row 1 has column headers) to typically around row 22. There may be some variability in the numbers of rows but the number of columns should be consistant.

Here is the code I have:

Sub Macro1()
Dim i As Long
Dim LR As Long
Dim lr1 As Long

LR = Cells(Rows.Count, "F").End(xlUp).Row

For i = 2 To LR
With ActiveWorkbook.XmlMaps("rss_Map" & i)
.ShowImportExportValidationErrors = False
.AdjustColumnWidth = True
.PreserveColumnFilter = True
.PreserveNumberFormatting = True
.AppendOnImport = False
End With

lr1 = Cells(Rows.Count, "G").End(xlUp).Row

ActiveWorkbook.XmlImport URL:=Cells(i, "F").Value, _
ImportMap:=Nothing, Overwrite:=True, Destination:=Sheets("Sheet1").Range("$A" & lr1)
Next i

End Sub

In the Sheet1, I do get the entry of data from the first cell in the series (F2) from the sheet that contains the URLs to the RSS feeds. Those data appear in columns A through R and rows 1 through 22, but then I get the following error message:

The error message I get is: Run-time error '1004': The operation cannot be completed because the XML list is bound to a different XML Map.

So what I need is that part that would return the XML data from each subsequent URL of the RSS feeds (in column F, rows 3 through 5858) from the source sheet--to successive blocks (with each new set starting, say, 30 rows down from the previous one).

Is that possible? What would be the modification to the code in the macro? Am I going to be limited by the number of rows allowed in Excel 2003? It is going to be somewhere around 5858 X 30 = 175,740 rows.

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
OK, I know I am going to be limited by "death row" in Excel 2003. I can always split up into several files. Still I need a macro that works.

Anyone out there? Helllooo..:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MJS_53

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back