Range.Find() Function Returning Value instead of Range

Enzo Jono

Office Version
  1. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,
I have encountered an issue when trying out the Range.Find() function in one of my workbooks: the function returns the very value I gave it instead of the cell where it found the value.
1668374679715.png

The above piece of vba code is what I have been trying to do (to get myself familiar with the Find function), but when running it I get the following error:
1668374519164.png

and when I click Debug, it highlights my row function (as can be seen in the first screenshots), and when I hover over the a_cell it shows me a_cell = "V0", which is the argument I gave it. Isn't the find function supposed to return the range in which it found the argument or Nothing if it doesnt find it?? How am I getting a string out of the Find function?

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
For the highlighted line, it should just be
VBA Code:
a_row = a_cell.Row
a_cell is already set as a range so you don't use the Range() command with it here.

Also, it would be better to use Dim a_row As Long Using Integer will cause an error if the row is too far down the column.
How am I getting a string out of the Find function?
When you hover you get the current value of the variable, for a range it is the content of the cell that is set to the range, not the location of the cell.

Another thing to note it that Find uses the same parameters as Ctrl f in excel, if you have changed any of the options there then vba Find will use the last settings from that as default. For this reason it is recommended to use all arguments of Find in your code rather than just the ones that you think you need.

Upvote 0
Solution
For the highlighted line, it should just be
VBA Code:
a_row = a_cell.Row
a_cell is already set as a range so you don't use the Range() command with it here.

Also, it would be better to use Dim a_row As Long Using Integer will cause an error if the row is too far down the column.

When you hover you get the current value of the variable, for a range it is the content of the cell that is set to the range, not the location of the cell.

Another thing to note it that Find uses the same parameters as Ctrl f in excel, if you have changed any of the options there then vba Find will use the last settings from that as default. For this reason it is recommended to use all arguments of Find in your code rather than just the ones that you think you need.

Thank you for the a_row= a_cell.Row bit, it solved the issue somehow. So Excel's tooltip will just show the value instead of the range it appears...

Upvote 0
So Excel's tooltip will just show the value instead of the range it appears...
That is correct, it you want to see where it is found then you could use a_cell.Address(0, 0) with a string variable.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back