Ranking with SUMPRODUCT to ignore blanks

Celticshadow

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All

I am ranking data using the below formula but if a cell is blank then I would like that cell ignored and only rank cells that contain data

{=SUMPRODUCT(--($A$2:$A$10243=$A2),--(IR$2:IR$10243>IR2))+1}

The A2:A10243 is a column containing an id number for the data held in cells IR2:IR10243.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Could you fill the column Impact with values (an example) rather than formulas?
Criteria for tie-breaking (column Impact)?

M.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
1) Two line items ranked are both ranked 2 and require a tie-breaker. Since both line items are ranked 2 and the volume is the same. Therefore I would assume the tie-breaker could be applied based on the order they appear in the list.

EIFHNM
Impact_calculatedImpactVolumePriorityRankingExpected result
Mis-reportingMis-reporting250Priority_22Ranking:2
Mis-reportingMis-reporting250Priority_22Ranking:3
Mis-reportingMis-reporting300Priority_21Ranking:1

<tbody>
</tbody>

2) If the field impacted calculation is blank (not returned a value from "I" impacted) but the cell still contain the formula and excel things that the cell is not blank and calculated a ranking. I ahvve seen a few suggestions by filtering blank and deleting the formula in the blank cells. Another suggestion I seen is to paste values and remove formula, populate the blank cells with a random value e.g @ and than finding and replacing it with blank. Both options work but I wanted to know if there is an alternative that removes the manual steps

E
I
H
N
M
Impact_calculated
Impact
Volume
Ranking
Expected results
300Ranked:1Blank
Ranked:2Blank

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry, i'm not understanding your data and what you need.
Hope someone can help you.

M.

Upvote 0
Apologies if the previous data was confusing. I have added a fresh example that I hope makes sense.

I am using the below formula to calculate a ranking.

IF(AND([@[Regulatory impact]]<>"", [@Volume]<>"",[@[Top 10]]<>""), SUMPRODUCT(--(C18=$C$18:$C$22),--(D18<$D$18:$D$22))+1,"")

When the ranking references the blank cell in "Top 10" the ranking in the next is not adjusted to 2

Any ideas how I can get the ranking order to go 1,2 instead of 1,3 when column "Top 10 is referenced.

No
Impact
Volume
Top 10
Ranking
Expected resultPass/Fail
1Mis-reporting900Top 10 Mis-reporting11Pass
2 800Top 10 Mis-reporting -Pass
3Mis-reporting Top 10 Mis-reporting -Pass
4Mis-reporting400 -Pass
5Mis-reporting300Top 10 Mis-reporting32Fail
<colgroup><col width="64" style="width: 48pt;"> <col width="131" style="width: 98pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 4790;"> <col width="68" style="width: 51pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2486;"> <col width="152" style="width: 114pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 5558;"> <col width="70" style="width: 53pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2560;"> <col width="109" style="width: 82pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3986;"> <col width="64" style="width: 48pt;"> <tbody> </tbody>

Upvote 0
I should also have mentioned that Top 10 references ranking to calculate the cells and ranking references Top 10 to check if its not blank. Therefore they are depend on each other. Cant see a way around this other than ranking not referencing To 10.

Upvote 0
Maybe something like this

A
B
C
D
E
F
No​
Impact​
Volume​
Top 10​
Ranking​
Pass/Fail​
1​
Mis-reporting​
900​
Top 10 Mis-reporting​
1​
Pass​
2​
800​
Top 10 Mis-reporting​
Pass​
3​
Mis-reporting​
Top 10 Mis-reporting​
Pass​
4​
Mis-reporting​
400​
Pass​
5​
Mis-reporting​
300​
Top 10 Mis-reporting​
2​
Fail​

Formula in E2 copied down
=IF(AND(B2<>"",C2<>"",D2<>""),SUMPRODUCT(--(B2=B$2:B$6),--(C$2:C$6>C2),--(D$2:D$6<>""))+1,"")

M.

Upvote 0
Maybe something like this

A

B

C

D

E

F

No​

Impact​

Volume​

Top 10​

Ranking​

Pass/Fail​

1​

Mis-reporting​

900​

Top 10 Mis-reporting​

1​

Pass​

2​

800​

Top 10 Mis-reporting​

Pass​

3​

Mis-reporting​

Top 10 Mis-reporting​

Pass​

4​

Mis-reporting​

400​

Pass​

5​

Mis-reporting​

300​

Top 10 Mis-reporting​

2​

Fail​

<tbody>
</tbody>

Formula in E2 copied down
=IF(AND(B2<>"",C2<>"",D2<>""),SUMPRODUCT(--(B2=B$2:B$6),--(C$2:C$6>C2),--(D$2:D$6<>""))+1,"")

M.

That works perfectly. Many thanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You are welcome.

M.

If I am including 5 IF(AND(<>"",<>"",<>"",<>"",<>"") before the SUMPRODUCT, would I then need to add a array for each in order for the sequencing of the raking to work or could I change ([@[Regulatory reporting impact]]=[Regulatory reporting impact]) to ([@[Regulatory reporting impact]]<>"").

I am below formula which working except for sequencing the numbers in order. Wold appreciate if you have any suggestions.

Formula

=IF(AND([@[Reported bleed]]<>"",[@[Regulatory reporting impact]]<>"",[@[Test stage_ranking]]<>"",[@[Regulatory reporting impact_ranking]]<>"",[@[Status ranking]]<>""), SUMPRODUCT(--([@[Regulatory reporting impact]]=[Regulatory reporting impact]),--([@[Reported bleed]]<[Reported bleed]))+1,"")

Upvote 0
I'm not seeing your data...Try posting some rows with the relevant columns of the table along with expected results

M.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
p17tootie

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back