re-connecting tables that began life together

miconian

My raw data contains many fields, including fields A, B, C and D.

I ran queries to create two new tables: the A-B table and the B-C table.

I took the duplicates out of the A-B table and added an autonumber field, so now each unique A-B combination has a number. This will of course become the key field for the A-B table.

But now I want to add the unique A-B key field to the C-D table as a foreign key. After all, each C-D combination is connected to an A-B combination... but only back in the original raw data.

I am not sure how to do this. Most tutorials I read about Access seem to assume that the user is starting with a blank slate and building the database up one table at a time. But in my case, I am always starting with one giant table from outside Access, and breaking it up. But once I've broken it up, I have trouble getting the new tables to link together properly. The relationships all exist, but they only exist in the original giant table.

Thanks for your help and patience!

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
You need to make table C-D based off a relationship with AN-A-B and A-B-C-D, correct? (AN = Autonumber)
So make a maketable query with A-B-C-D and AN-A-B and connect A-A and B-B, and then have the table write the fields AN-C-D.

Does that make sense or should I explain in more detail? :)

Upvote 0
It's really the connecting A-A and B-B that I don't understand, I suppose. Especially since it's the A-B combination that's crucial.

To make this less abstract:

A: holding company
B: subsidiary

C: campaign name
D: campaign ID

So, you see, the idea here is to give the campaigns their own table, but to associate each one with the holding/subsidiary combination that it goes with. There is only one A/B combination possible per campaign, just as there is only one C/D combination possible per campaign.

Upvote 0
Okay.

So you have made a table, with three columns. ID, HoldingCo, Subsidiary

You have a second table that you made, with two columns, Campaign Name and Campaign ID.

But, you also have the original table, HoldingCo, Subsidiary, Campaign Name, and Campaign ID.

I would write a maketable query that took the ID/HoldingCo/Subsidiary table and the original table, join them together by HoldingCo and Subsidiary, and then write the ID, Campaign Name, and Campaign ID columns into the new table. Then, you have ID/A/B, and ID/C/D, joined via ID, and you have your relationship.

Upvote 0
Why not have a table for Holding co?

Also some 'junction' tables if any relationships are many to many.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikijon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back