RE-manipulation of an array from a UDF

simonphillips

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi Everyone,

I have a UDF that returns an array. The function call in a single cell is =returnSimonsarray(variables here).

Once the function completes it populates the single cell and all the cells surrounding it as expected. It also places a light blue border around the cells and includes the same formula in the formula bar but in light grey for any cell in the array except the top left corner. All good.

I make a lot of these array calls and would like to avoid changing the array if a different cell is set to say '1'. However when I pass the cells of the array returned from the fist pass of the UDF in the second call of the UDF they are all seen as empty ?

Looking for some expert wisdom on how to adapt my UDF with some form of switch so that I can choose whether to keep or change the values in the cells from a past function call when I re-evaluate a cell or hit save.

TIA

Simon

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
It sounds like you need to pass the other cell to the UDF as a second argument.

But it's not at all clear how you're calling the UDF, and what you mean by first pass and second call.

Can you please post your code and your layout so we can see?

It looks like you're using Excel 365 or 2021. It would be good if you updated your Account details to confirm, as the best solutions often vary depending on Excel version.

Upvote 0
Hi @StephenCrump,

As always, thank you for taking the time to read my post and offer some support, it s gratefully appreciated.

My excel version is: Microsoft® Excel® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2404 Build 16.0.17531.20140) 64-bit

The call to my UDF is like this: =LookupExternalData(AQ13,$A$17:$A$101, AQ15:BD15,AR13)

The UDF is defined as follows:

Option Explicit

Public Function LookupExternalData( _
ByVal FilePath As String, _
ByVal ProjectArray As Range, _
ByVal ColumnArray As Range, _
ByVal Macro_switch As Integer) _
As Variant

I would like to be able to add a variable to the function call (but this is not in the definition above) that avoids recalculation and return of the array. The UDF currently retruns an array of data (14 x 80) cells. However it seems excel sees the array as a "contiguous"data set (blue border around the cell. So if this additional variable passed to the UDF is set I would like to rewrite the function to not calculate the array. However when I have tried this it clears the full array and returns a single value for cell where the function is called.

I was considering adding code to copy and paste the cells to another location before checking the variable to recalculate. That way if the variable was set to not recalculate then I could copy the values and return them in the array call, but I am not sure if that would work ?

Thanks again and please feel free to ask any more questions

Simon

Upvote 0
The UDF currently retruns an array of data (14 x 80) cells. However it seems excel sees the array as a "contiguous"data set (blue border around the cell. So if this additional variable passed to the UDF is set I would like to rewrite the function to not calculate the array. However when I have tried this it clears the full array and returns a single value for cell where the function is called.
OK, the results spill, as you'd expect using Excel 365.

I would like to be able to add a variable to the function call (but this is not in the definition above) that avoids recalculation and return of the array .... However when I have tried this it clears the full array and returns a single value for cell where the function is called.
Again, this is expected behaviour. You're calling the Function from a cell, so If your function doesn't define LookupExternalData, you'd expect to see the cell showing the single value 0. You could initialise LookupExternalData to any other value if you wish, e.g. "" or "-".

Perhaps (I am only guessing) you are looking instead to call a Sub (using similar arguments) that, depending on the value of the "different cell", either:

1. Populates a cell with the results of the function, or
2. Does nothing, i.e. the cell is not populated with any formula/result?

Upvote 0
Hi Stephen,

I think you are correct in your comments regarding the Sub.

My goal was to have a function call that could do one of 2 things: return a new array of (recalculated) values or leave the existing array untouched (from the last function call) intact.

But I don't believe that is possible with a UDF for a couple of reasons:
1 - If I try and copy/paste the values the UDF fails because it can only impact the cell from where the function is called (I even tried callin a sub from inside the UDF)
2 - If I reference the "spilled" cells I get a circular reference

I need to *somehow* use a sub routine (?) to copy and paste the array and then pass this to the function. Then with an additional variable in the function call that determines which of the two options above is needed the function returns a new array with different values or the old array.

Is this making sense ?

Upvote 0
Again, a little hard to say definitively without seeing the detail of your code. But rather than calling a function iteratively, can't you handle everything in the one function call?

VBA Code:
Function returnSimonsarray(r As Range, Process As Variant) As Variant

Dim tmp As Variant
    Dim i As Long, j As Long

'Get Array
    tmp = r.Value

If Process = 1 Then
        'Process Array - optional
        For i = 1 To UBound(tmp)
            For j = 1 To UBound(tmp, 2)
                tmp(i, j) = tmp(i, j) * 2 'say
            Next j
        Next i
    End If

returnSimonsarray = tmp

End Function
ABCDEFGHI
1Process Array?1123
3Results246789
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B3:D5B3=returnSimonsarray(G1:I3,B1)
Dynamic array formulas.

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Enero1

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back