Read only woes with linked table

tom_crisp

Board Regular
I have an Access application (a) on a network drive that contains a couple of queries and a form. There is a linked table that resides in another database (b) on the same drive, in the same folder.

The reason for this is that (b) is an admin application for adding/amending data, and (a) is just a viewer for finding records and clicking on links in them. (a) will be used by many people, whereas only one person at a time will be using (b)

The form in (a) contains a subform that has a query as its control source. The query (a) runs on the linked table (b).

This all works perfectly for me as I have read/write access to the drive, however people that only have read access get a blank white box where the subform data should be. I have tried re-linking the table, but I am unable to do this either.

How can I make this form work for the read only people without changing their access rights?

Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
I ended up putting a button on the admin side (b) that copied the table to (a), using the transferdatabase method, that needs to be pressed after any changes are made.

I'm happy with the solution, but am still interested to see if there is a better one.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back