recalculate.now() macro

bharwood

Hi. I have a very simple sheet (within a larger workbook) with a series of timers on it that compares two dates/times and then calculates the result. The timers show elapsed time in days, hours, minutes and seconds. I'm looking for a simple macro that will make the timers "run" by recalculating the sheet (or range of cells) continuousy until it is halted. The macro I'm using is embarrassingly simple:

Mission Control Clock Macro
=CALCULATE.NOW()
=GOTO(A2)
=RETURN

<colgroup><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

It works, but it can take more than one second to complete a cycle, so the timers do not run smoothly. I realize this is probably trivial to most of you, but I'm not a macro guy and I would surely appreciate some suggestions to make this work faster. Thanks.

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
I suspect a second+ is the length of time that excel needs to calculate/run the code/get the time from the server.
Excel may not be the ideal tool for this, although if you have the value of 1 second in another cell (lets say C3) the you can compensate by adding the second lost calculating back onto the time?

Upvote 0
I suspect a second+ is the length of time that excel needs to calculate/run the code/get the time from the server.
Excel may not be the ideal tool for this, although if you have the value of 1 second in another cell (lets say C3) the you can compensate by adding the second lost calculating back onto the time?

Not sure what you mean by "get the time from the server." The worksheet simply subtracts one date/time from another and displays the days, hours, minutes and seconds since the earlier event. The macro is intended to "run" the clocks on the worksheet so they tick along continuously. Some of the timers subtract a date/time from NOW(), but the only computer involved is the one the macro's running on. Anyway, when I manually click Excel's "calculate now" button, Excel has no trouble completing all the operations in a second or less. So the problem must have something to do with how the macro executes. Thanks for taking time to reply.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wcbyers

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back