Recorded macro continues to return error.

janugent

Hello-

I am working on an automation project within the plant to display on multiple monitors a list of production orders. I have recorded a macro that will insert a column and define the Location of a Production Order based upon the Work Center. There are no issues whiles recording the macro, but when I go to use it again, I am getting an error. It has to do with the ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1, I believe. I have listed it below....any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sub TRIAL1()
'
' TRIAL1 Macro
'

'
Columns("D:D").Select
Selection.Insert Shift:=xlToRight, CopyOrigin:=xlFormatFromLeftOrAbove
Range("D1").Select
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "LOCATION"
Range("D2").Select
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = _
"=IF(RC[1]=""1A"",""MACH SHOP"",IF(RC[1]=""1B"",""MACH SHOP"",IF(RC[1]=""1C"",""MACH SHOP"",IF(RC[1]=""1D"",""MACH SHOP"",IF(RC[1]=""1E"",""MACH SHOP"",IF(RC[1]=""1F"",""MACH SHOP"",IF(RC[1]=""1G"",""MACH SHOP"",IF(RC[1]=""1I"",""MACH SHOP"",IF(RC[1]=""1L"",""MACH SHOP"",IF(RC[1]=""1N"",""MACH SHOP"",IF(RC[1]=""1P"",""MACH SHOP"",IF(RC[1]=""1R"",""MACH SHOP"",IF(RC[1" & _
",""MACH SHOP"",IF(2=""1T"",""MACH SHOP"",IF(RC[1]=""1V"",""MACH SHOP"",IF(RC[1]=""2D"",""FABRICATION"",IF(RC[1]=""2E"",""FABRICATION"",IF(RC[1]=""2F"",""FABRICATION"",IF(RC[1]=""2G"",""FABRICATION"",IF(RC[1]=""2H"",""FABRICATION"",IF(RC[1]=""2J"",""FABRICATION"",IF(RC[1]=""2K"",""FABRICATION"",IF(RC[1]=""2L"",""FABRICATION"",IF(RC[1]=""3E"",""FABRICATION"",IF(RC[1]=" & _
"FABRICATION"",IF(RC[1]=""3G"",""FABRICATION"",IF(RC[1]=""3I"",""FABRICATION"",IF(RC[1]=""1M"",""CUTTING"",IF(RC[1]=""3A"",""CUTTING"",IF(RC[1]=""3B"",""CUTTING"",IF(RC[1]=""3C"",""CUTTING"",IF(RC[1]=""3H"",""CUTTING"",IF(RC[1]=""3K"",""CUTTING"",IF(RC[1]=""4C"",""ASSEMBLY"",IF(RC[1]=""4D"",""ASSEMBLY"",IF(RC[1]=""4E"",""ASSEMBLY"",IF(RC[1]=""4F"",""ASSEMBLY"",IF(RC[" & _
",""ASSEMBLY"",IF(RC[1]=""4I"",""ASSEMBLY"",IF(RC[1]=""4J"",""ASSEMBLY"",IF(RC[1]=""4X"",""ASSEMBLY"",IF(RC[1]=""4B"",""REPAIR ASSY"",IF(RC[1]=""4R"",""REPAIR ASSY"",IF(RC[1]=""4S"",""REPAIR ASSY"",IF(RC[1]=""4T"",""REPAIR ASSY"",IF(RC[1]=""4U"",""REPAIR ASSY"",IF(RC[1]=""4V"",""REPAIR ASSY"",IF(RC[1]=""4W"",""REPAIR ASSY"",IF(RC[1]=""4K"",""SHIPPING"",IF(RC[1]=""ENG" & _
"REWORK"",IF(RC[1]=""IC"",""INVENTORY CTRL"",IF(RC[1]=""OP"",""OUTSIDE PROD"",IF(RC[1]=""QC"",""QUALITY CTRL"",IF(RC[1]=""RE"",""REWORK"","" ""))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))"
Range("D2").Select
Selection.AutoFill Destination:=Range("D2:D1258")
Range("D2:D1258").Select
End Sub

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
Welcome to the Board!

How many nested IF statements do you have? I thought 7 was the limit.
You may be better served by created a lookup table and using a VLOOKUP table than nesting that many levels of IF.
See: MS Excel: How to use the VLOOKUP Function (WS)

Upvote 0
There are several.

It could be changed to use a range: "1A, 1B, 1C, 1D","MACH SHOP", but I would still have 11 statements.

I need it to insert a column, identify it, and input a Location. If I used a VLookUp, I would have to create a table, and I would just run that every time.

Upvote 0
just want to make sure that I explained what I needed. I am downloading a report from within our system. It defines the production orders by work centers (1a,1b,1c,1d). These work centers are broken into locations (machine shop, fab, etc.). I am needing to run a macro that will insert a new column to the left of the work centers and specify which location these are for.

Upvote 0
Here is a detailed layout of what I am needing help with. The report comes from our system. I am needing to insert a column and place the work centers into different categories (1a-machine shop, 2d-fabrication, 4c-assembly, 4b-repair assy, etc.).

date order description work center
1/2/2016 123 roll 1a
1/3/2016 456 machine 2d
1/4/2016 556 hall 4c
1/5/2016 789 main 4b

Upvote 0
OK. Here is code that should do what you want. Just continue on and add more "Case" statements for all your other options.
Code:
Sub TRIAL1()
' TRIAL1 Macro

Dim cell As Range
    Dim category As String

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

'   Insert blank column in column D
    Columns("D:D").Insert Shift:=xlToRight, CopyOrigin:=xlFormatFromLeftOrAbove

'   Put header on column D
    Range("D1") = "LOCATION"

'   Loop through all entries in column E, placing the appropriate value in column D
    For Each cell In Range("E2:E" & Range("E2").End(xlDown).Row)
        category = ""
        Select Case cell
            Case "1a"
                category = "machine shop"
            Case "2d"
                category = "fabrication"
            Case "4c"
                category = "assembly"
            Case "4b"
                category = "repair"
'           enter the rest of your options below
            Case Else
                category = "unknown"
        End Select
        cell.Offset(0, -1) = category
    Next cell

MsgBox "Process complete!"

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back