relationships project

holt1

I have a database wtih three tables programmers,assignments, and projects.

Each programmer has a first name, lastname, address, and employeeid.

Each project has a projectid, project name, project description.

Each programmer is assigned zero or more projects, and each project can be completed by 1 or more programmers. Each assignment is placed appropriately into the assignment table
each record in the assignment table has a assignmentid and projectid and employeeid.
I am trying to form the relationships between these tables will all my relationship lines run through assignments can anyone tell me how to develop these relationships and if the many to many relationship of programmers to project runs through assignments
thanks I am new at this if this is unclear I can try to clarify

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
Hi, I think I understand what you are asking - do you want to clarify how to set up a many-to-many relationship between the programmers and projects? If so, you are certainly on the right track.

Before you start, make sure the employee id and project id are set to be the keys in your employee and project tables. Also, do you need to have an assignment id in the assignment table? If you had just the employee id and project id in that table, and made both fields the key (highlight both and click the key symbol while in table design) then you can't inadvertently assign the same programmer to the same project twice.

Insofar as the relationships are concerned, under Tools -> Relationships, set up the relationships as follows :

Link the programmer id in the programmer table to the programmer id in the assignment table with a one-to-many relationship (one programmer to many assignments, enforce referential integrity and tick cascade update).

Link the project id in the project table to the project id in the assignment table with a one-to-many relationship (one project to many assignments, enforce referential integrity and tick cascade update).

Save the relationships.

This should give you the structure and set-up that should stand the test of time.

HTH, Andrew. :)

Upvote 0
thanks andrew I am going to give it a look in the morning I sure appreciate the help. hope I can return the favor to another.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jitesh_Sharma

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back