Relative Reference instead of Absolute Reference

KillerOfGiants

Office Version
  1. 365
Hello,

I created a transition file that takes a QuickBooks csv export data and portrays the data in such a way to be copied into another csv file so that that data can be imported to an outside entity. (1099s for reference).

My issue is, when I created the transition file (with the original QB export file open) everything works fine. When I close the QB file, all the file names then switch to full path (myname is my user name):
'C:\Users\myname\Desktop\[1099 Detail.csv]1099 Detail'!$A$2:$A$100001

What I want is for the formula to look in the same directory, no matter what person is exporting from their QuickBooks. What I found is it should be something like this:
'\[1099 Detail.csv]1099 Detail'!$A$2:$A$100001

But that does not work (and opens a file box to update values choose where I am pulling the data.

Added note: When I close the QB file, the file path name decides it want to put a driver letter in front of my attempted relative reference. (VBA is not an option).

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
The way Excel shows path names is a little confusing. In your original attempt, did you actually try using that file in a different directory?

Excel will show the full path name in the formula when the target file is closed, even if it actually using a relative path. You should be able to take your original file, close it, copy it to another folder, and I will bet that when you open in there you will a full path name of the new folder.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back