Reminder formula

erutherford

This code performs fine. There is just a small tweak that I would like to do. I was able to modify the code to work separately, but not together. I thought it was just a simple If Else statement, but I get a loop error.
Here is the code
Code:
Private Sub workbook_open()
Dim cCar As Range, sh As Worksheet, strAlert As String, dtTest As Date, wkb As Workbook

'This sets the program & insures Col.D is formated correctly

Set sh = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("CReminders")
Set wkb = ThisWorkbook

wkb.Sheets("Dashboard").Activate ' opens dashboard first, then any popups closed, dashboard is first up.
wkb.Sheets("Dashboard").Range("B2").Select

Call MCarData.MyCarsCombined ' Insures cYear, cBrand & cLicense are formated in Col.D ("MyCars)

' *****************************************************************************************

'This checks for expired reminders

Set cCar = sh.Cells(2, 1) 'cCar is c=column & Cars is column description
' ****************************************************************************************** Reminder #1
Do Until cCar.Value = "" 'loop until the first row with no car name
    dtTest = cCar.Offset(0, 2) 'DDate is 2 columns over from the Car Name - Column C
    dtTest = DateAdd("d", cCar.Offset(0, 3) * -1, dtTest) 'Deduct the number of days from column E - 4 columns over from the Car name

If dtTest <= Date And cCar.Offset(0, 4).Value Then 'This checks the adjusted date, and TRUE/FALSE (cCar.Offset(0, 4)= 4 columns over from cCar
        strAlert = strAlert & cCar.Value & " - " & cCar.Offset(0, 1) & " " & "expires on " & Format(cCar.Offset(0, 2), "mm-dd-yyyy") & " in " & cCar.Offset(0, 3) & " day(s) " & vbCrLf 'vbCrLf puts a newline (Carriage Return, Line Feed) in
                             'CarID  ************  Description ****************************************  DDate ************************************ ADate
    End If

Set cCar = cCar.Offset(1, 0) 'Moves to the next row
Loop

If strAlert = "" Then strAlert = "No reminders today!"

MsgBox strAlert

Set sh = Nothing
Set wkb = Nothing

End Sub

I thought I could just add Else, cut and paste and reverse the "<=" to ">=", but I get a "loop without Do"

Any ideas?

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Can you show what you added and where?

Code:
    dtTest = cCar.Offset(0, 2) 'DDate is 2 columns over from the Car Name - Column C
    dtTest = DateAdd("d", cCar.Offset(0, 3) * -1, dtTest) 'Deduct the number of days from column E - 4 columns over from the Car name

If dtTest <= Date And cCar.Offset(0, 4).Value Then 'This checks the adjusted date, and TRUE/FALSE (cCar.Offset(0, 4)= 4 columns over from cCar
        strAlert = strAlert & cCar.Value & " - " & cCar.Offset(0, 1) & " " & "expires on " & Format(cCar.Offset(0, 2), "mm-dd-yyyy") & " in " & cCar.Offset(0, 3) & " day(s) " & vbCrLf 'vbCrLf puts a newline (Carriage Return, Line Feed) in

'added it here

else

If dtTest >= Date And cCar.Offset(0, 4).Value Then 'This checks the adjusted date, and TRUE/FALSE (cCar.Offset(0, 4)= 4 columns over from cCar

End If

Loop

MsgBox strAlert

Set sh = Nothing
Set wkb = Nothing

End Sub

Upvote 0
Try this...

Rich (BB code):

'added it here

ElseIf dtTest >= Date And cCar.Offset(0, 4).Value Then 'This checks the adjusted date, and TRUE/FALSE (cCar.Offset(0, 4)= 4 columns over from cCar

End If

Loop

MsgBox strAlert

Set sh = Nothing
Set wkb = Nothing

End Sub

Upvote 0
That solved that problem, thank you. I'll read a little about the diff between Else and ElseIF.

Can you briefly tell me what is happening here :
Code:
dtTest = DateAdd("d", cCar.Offset(0, 3) * -1, dtTest)
[/code}

Im not sure what the " *-1" is doing?

Upvote 0
Im not sure what the " *-1" is doing?

It just changes whatever the positive value in cCar.Offset(0, 3) is to a minus number (or a minus number to a positive although I doubt that is what is in cCar.Offset(0, 3)).

Upvote 0
Thank you. The code works fine when only one record is in the worksheet. Once a second record is entered, the result is both reminders are the same.
The worksheet is setup as follows
A = Car Name
B = Reminder description
C = Due Date
D = Alert Days (days before the due date)
E = Status (True/False)

Any data set that meets the "If statement" should read "expires in "x" days"
Any data set the meets the ElseIf statement should read "expired "X" days ago"

When two or more rows of data is entered then all row copy the first rows results.

Code:
Private Sub workbook_open()
Dim cCar As Range, sh As Worksheet, strAlert As String, dtTest As Date, wkb As Workbook

'This sets the program & insures Col.D is formated correctly

Set sh = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("CReminders")
Set wkb = ThisWorkbook

wkb.Sheets("Dashboard").Activate ' opens dashboard first, then any popups closed, dashboard is first up.
wkb.Sheets("Dashboard").Range("B2").Select

Call MCarData.MyCarsCombined ' Insures cYear, cBrand & cLicense are formated in Col.D ("MyCars)  
' *****************************************************************************************
'This checks for expired reminders

Set cCar = sh.Cells(2, 1) 'cCar is c=column & Cars is column description
' ****************************************************************************************** Reminder #1
    dtTest = DateAdd("d", cCar.Offset(0, 3) * -1, dtTest) 'Deduct the number of days from column D - 3 columns over from the Car name

If dtTest >= Date And cCar.Offset(0, 4).Value Then 'This checks the adjusted date, and TRUE/FALSE (cCar.Offset(0, 4)= 4 columns over from cCar

'CarID  ************  Description ****************************************  DDate ************************************ ADate
 'Changes to past due

ElseIf dtTest <= Date And cCar.Offset(0, 4).Value Then 'This checks the adjusted date, and TRUE/FALSE (cCar.Offset(0, 4)= 4 columns over from cCar
        strAlert = strAlert & cCar.Value & " - " & cCar.Offset(0, 1) & " " & "expired on " & Format(cCar.Offset(0, 2), "mm-dd-yyyy") & " - " & cCar.Offset(0, 3) & " day(s) ago " & vbCrLf 'vbCrLf puts a newline (Carriage Return, Line Feed) in

End If

Loop

MsgBox strAlert

Set sh = Nothing
Set wkb = Nothing

End Sub

Upvote 0
That solved that problem, thank you. I'll read a little about the diff between Else and ElseIF.

You're welcome.

You tried to do this in your original code, but omitted the 2nd End If.
VBA Code:
If Blah Then

Else
    If Blah2 Then

End If
End If

This is the same as above
VBA Code:
If Blah Then

ElseIf Blah2 Then

End If

Upvote 0
@erutherford Curious about code, formula and logic used

IF datediff is >= Today's date Then
'Do something
Else
'Do something else
End if

However, your code is:

'Do something
ElseIf datediff is <= Today's date Then
'Do something else
End if

This implies, when datediff = Today's Date, it will execute TRUE part and not "expires 0 days ago". Doesn't that make ElseIf redundant?

Here, seems datediff should be:
- Greater than or equal to today [test case]
- otherwise, Less than today [default case]

Your output messages also only deal with 2 cases:
- Expires [test case]
- Expired [default case]

And no 3rd case "Expires today". Are you sure
you need ElseIf in your code and not Else?

You could test for this in your loop e.g. If cCar.Offset(0, 3).Value <> 0

Separately, if cCar.Offset(0, 3).value is a number that indicates number of days for expiration status, I'm guessing it's formula driven?
If so, you already have values in column D, do you need to use DateDiff in the code to figure out days for expiration status?

Also, in your code, try moving all your comments above the line they're for, not to the right - makes it easier to read with less horizontal scrolling :)

Upvote 0
@erutherford Curious about code, formula and logic used

'Do something
Else
'Do something else
End if

However, your code is:

'Do something
ElseIf datediff is <= Today's date Then
'Do something else
End if

This implies, when datediff = Today's Date, it will execute TRUE part and not "expires 0 days ago". Doesn't that make ElseIf redundant?

Here, seems datediff should be:
- Greater than or equal to today [test case]
- otherwise, Less than today [default case]

Your output messages also only deal with 2 cases:
- Expires [test case]
- Expired [default case]

And no 3rd case "Expires today". Are you sure
you need ElseIf in your code and not Else?

You could test for this in your loop e.g. If cCar.Offset(0, 3).Value <> 0

Separately, if cCar.Offset(0, 3).value is a number that indicates number of days for expiration status, I'm guessing it's formula driven?
If so, you already have values in column D, do you need to use DateDiff in the code to figure out days for expiration status?

Also, in your code, try moving all your comments above the line they're for, not to the right - makes it easier to read with less horizontal scrolling :)
Thanks Jack for the comments. I don't write code daily, but do enjoy it when I get to, so all comments are really helpful.
I really like the 3rd case logic and will try to incorporate that.
In my code, I used DATEAdd. Are you saying I should use datediff instead of dateAdd?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mr_ordinaryboy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back