Remotely close excel workbook

TCII

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
At my work I am responsible for updating some excel workbooks but constantly run into an issue of other users forgetting to close the workbooks and therefor I am unable to update the data. Due to our security restraints we are unable to make these workbooks shared documents. Is there a way for me to remotely close one of these files from my PC? Additionally, the workbook does not need to be saved prior to remotely closing as the other users only access to view graphs and data, not to update. I am the only user with access to update these files.
Thank you in advanced for any advice you are able to provide.

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
If the other users don't need to make changes, maybe you could set the files to read-only at the filesystem level, and only change it just as you're about to open it. I believe Excel VBA can change the read only status of a file so long as that file is closed with the following:

VBA Code:
' Make read-only
SetAttr "C:\Blank.xls", vbReadOnly

' Make writeable
SetAttr "C:\Blank.xls", vbNormal

If you use another Excel workbook to open the files you need, you could have it make the file writeable just as you need to. So long as the file is read-only, the other users won't be able to lock the file.

Upvote 0
Solution
I hope it does the trick. I should note that the main annoyance of this would be to make these files read-only again. You would have to remember to make them read-only each time after you save the file. Good luck!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k4kamal

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back