Remove ALL occurrences of values [?], {?}, (?) and ?^ from a cell

Peptide

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello!

I am looking for an excel formula (not VBA) to remove all occurrences of values [?], {?}, (?) and ?^ from A1

Value in A1: hello[bob]car[army]is{hope}bicyclez^red(or)blue

Value in B1 would be: [bob]
Value in B2 would be: [army]
Value in B3 would be: {hope}
Value in B4 would be" z^
Value in B5 would be" (or)

Value in C1 would be the value of A1 minus all the values listed on B1:B5 or hellocarisbicycleredblue

FYI: The can be multiple digits in the [ ] or { } or ( ). For the ?^, there is only 1 digit followed by the ^

Thanks in advance if you are up for the challenge!!

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
I can just give you the C1 formula:
Excel Formula:
=SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(91),""),CHAR(93),""),CHAR(123),""),CHAR(125),""),CHAR(94),""),CHAR(40),""),CHAR(41),"")

To get the other parsed values I think a user will need Excel 365 or 2021 and greater, as the user can use the LAMBDA recursive feature. Are all cells in your project with this structure the exact same word lengths between the non alpha characters?

Upvote 0
Try something like
Excel Formula:
=REDUCE(A1,B1:B5,LAMBDA(a,b,SUBSTITUTE(a,b,"")))

Upvote 0
What version of Excel are you using?

I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Upvote 0
I can just give you the C1 formula:
Excel Formula:
=SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(91),""),CHAR(93),""),CHAR(123),""),CHAR(125),""),CHAR(94),""),CHAR(40),""),CHAR(41),"")

To get the other parsed values I think a user will need Excel 365 or 2021 and greater, as the user can use the LAMBDA recursive feature. Are all cells in your project with this structure the exact same word lengths between the non alpha characters?
Thank you for your reply. In regards to your question about the exact same word lengths between the alphas, the answer is no. They are generally between 1 and 8 different characters, (sometimes 10). I also updated my profile to say I have Office 365 online and desktop too. FYI - on the ?^, there is always just one character and then the ^. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back