Remove the Upload Image "button"

joeu2004

Banned user
Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
Time and time again, users upload screen images for Excel examples, which are often inadequate for us explain what is happening.

But I do not fault the users. This forum almost "screams" for them to upload images because of the prominence of the Upload Image "button" v. the subtlety (and unfamiliarity) of the XL2BB action on the toolbar.

I suggest one of two remedies:

1. If a user clicks Upload Image, a pop-up should appear that asks the user to use XL2BB for Excel examples.

2. Remove the Upload Image icon at the bottom of the page. Instead add an Upload Image action to the toolbar, if necessary.

(There already is an Insert Image action on the toolbar. I don't know if that is the same as the Upload Image button.)

In addition, a prominent explanation and/or encouragement of the use of XL2BB might be helpful. In excelforum.com, each webpage has a yellow banner at the top, asking users to attach an Excel file instead of using screen images.

(Arguably, even that prominent banner is not sufficient. Many users still attach images or provide inadequate data in some arbitrary manner. Klunk!)

Thanks for the suggestion.

I'd like to say that I mostly agree with you. However, some members have restrictions about installing third-party add-ins, especially in their workplaces. Additionally, there are times that members need to upload an image of a toolbar, or dialog window, etc., which is not an Excel range. So, disabling the image uploads is not an option obviously, but making it less charming is something we can consider as you suggested.

There already is an Insert Image action on the toolbar. I don't know if that is the same as the Upload Image button.
Yes, they basically do the same thing.

I just wanted to send a quick reply to say that we are currently discussing this matter. I'll post more information about the customization as soon as it is implemented.

Thanks for giving it serious consideration.

Thanks for giving it serious consideration.
Although we cannot remove the button, we now included a well-marked new button that is visible to members who didn't download XL2BB yet.

1610923326290.png

When they click on the button they will see a dialog box including an animated image that quickly demonstrates how XL2BB works.

1610923455875.png

Following is the animation (you can't see the dialog since you already downloaded the add-in):
xl2bb.gif

Hopefully, this will help to introduce XL2BB to the new members.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back