Removing characters from the front of a text string

Brian Feth

Windows 11, Excel 2021

Can anyone tell me how to remove all of the 29 characters preceding the word VENDOR from the example below using VBA (or any other word in that location, "VENDOR” is an example).
Identifying what is unique to the position in the string; there are 29 preceding characters, there are 4 preceding spaces , and VENDOR is 3 characters after a "/".

Using VBA I want to change String1 into string 2,

String1 = PURCHASE AUTHORIZED ON 01/18 VENDOR Mktp US*R01QK Amzn.com/bill WA

String2 = VENDOR Mktp US*R01QK Amzn.com/bill WA

Help is always appreciated!

Sorry, my ignorance is showing. That absolutely works. Thank you so much. I don't want to be greedy but, having derived the string with the VENDOR and everything after it, can you tell me how to get ride of everything after the VENDOR?
Are you saying you only want to get the VENDOR (or whatever text it is your looking for) from the VBA procedure, and only that?
Can the word you want have spaces in it?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Are you saying you only want to get the VENDOR (or whatever text it is your looking for) from the VBA procedure, and only that?
Can the word you want have spaces in it?
Yes, I want to pull the word VENDOR out of the statement. I can probably get by without considering whether the VENDER has a space in it. There would be an issue with businesses named THE VENDER but it need be I can deal with those by hand. It would be great to have code that would deal with a space or , second best would be a code that recognized the word
a code that recognized the word THE and dealt with it would probably deal with 95% of the issues. Thank you for your help.

Upvote 0
Yes, I want to pull the word VENDOR out of the statement. I can probably get by without considering whether the VENDER has a space in it. There would be an issue with businesses named THE VENDER but it need be I can deal with those by hand. It would be great to have code that would deal with a space or , second best would be a code that recognized the word
a code that recognized the word THE and dealt with it would probably deal with 95% of the issues. Thank you for your help.
Having a space causes a problem. Is there a unique consistent character after the full vendor name?

Upvote 0
Having a space causes a problem. Is there a unique consistent character after the full vendor name?
These are the lines describing credit card purchases on a bank statement. The Vendors are the names of retailers. There are no consistent special characters. For now ignoring the problem of spaces is just fine. I can make a few corrects as I go. Over time I may see some other way to solve the issue. Most of the time a business with a two (or more) words in the name will be recognizable by one word. The only consistent problem will be business with THE in the name. The print out will show the business as THE, and it will be easy to identify and make corrections. Thanks again for you help.

Upvote 0
These are the lines describing credit card purchases on a bank statement. The Vendors are the names of retailers. There are no consistent special characters. For now ignoring the problem of spaces is just fine. I can make a few corrects as I go. Over time I may see some other way to solve the issue. Most of the time a business with a two (or more) words in the name will be recognizable by one word. The only consistent problem will be business with THE in the name. The print out will show the business as THE, and it will be easy to identify and make corrections. Thanks again for you help.
You could perform a replace function before the InStr function on String1,
VBA Code:
String1 = Replace(String1, "THE ", "", 1, , vbTextCompare)
If there are no "THE " you will not get an error.

VBA Code:
string1 = Replace(string1, "THE ", "", 1, , vbTextCompare)
STRING2 = Mid(string1, 30)
STRING2 = Left(STRING2, InStr(1, STRING2, " ", vbTextCompare))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Solution
You could perform a replace function before the InStr function on String1,
VBA Code:
String1 = Replace(String1, "THE ", "", 1, , vbTextCompare)
If there are no "THE " you will not get an error.

VBA Code:
string1 = Replace(string1, "THE ", "", 1, , vbTextCompare)
STRING2 = Mid(string1, 30)
STRING2 = Left(STRING2, InStr(1, STRING2, " ", vbTextCompare))
Works perfectly. I'm impressed. That you very much!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back