Removing File Names From Paths

GreyEyedWolf

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had a good method for taking cells with file paths and removing the file names from them?

For example if I had the following path

C:\TEST\WORD.DOC I would want the cell to read C:\TEST to just contain the folder.

I have a long list of file paths with names and want to extract only the paths. Text to columns ends up being more work because some of the folder structures are very deep, so I would like an easier solution.

Thanks

Hi again,

You should be able to just change:

<font face=Courier New>Cell.Value = Left$(Cell.Value, IndexSlash - 1)</FONT>

Mark

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
Hi shg,

I am not entirely sure that the fullnames are from the same PC as where the code is being run, but hopefully :)

Mark
Given that the OP says a directory could have a name that looks like a file, how else could you know?

Upvote 0
Hi shg,

Certainly no way that I can think of.

@GreyEyedWolf:

I did forget to ask that. Do the paths/filenames listed on the sheet exist in the computer our workbook's code is running on?

Mark

Upvote 0
Hi shg,

@GreyEyedWolf:

I did forget to ask that. Do the paths/filenames listed on the sheet exist in the computer our workbook's code is running on?

Mark

The paths/filenames listed on the sheet in my case would exist in a network path location. Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi shg,

@GreyEyedWolf:

Mark

Do you know if it would be possible to make the macro delete up to the second slash. For example some of my paths include the archive name within them. For example.

C:\TEST\TEST.ZIP\WORK.DOC I would want to transform to just C:\TEST to exclude the archive name.

This could be accomplished by running your macro twice, but I was wondering whether it can be accomplished in a single macro?

Thanks

Upvote 0
The paths/filenames listed on the sheet in my case would exist in a network path location. Thanks

Then please try Shg's code at post #8 I believe. This eliminates deleting a folder name by accident, as it is checking against an existing file, and thus the filename is required before it would trim.

Do you know if it would be possible to make the macro delete up to the second slash. For example some of my paths include the archive name within them. For example.

C:\TEST\TEST.ZIP\WORK.DOC I would want to transform to just C:\TEST to exclude the archive name.

This could be accomplished by running your macro twice, but I was wondering whether it can be accomplished in a single macro?

Thanks

Well, it would not accomplish anything on a second run, unless of course we really do have dots as part of folder names.

Anyways, could we take a step back here? Initially I was under the impression that a quick/short throwaway snippet could be used, but this now sounds as if it is something to be run every so often - against paths that are accessible and using existing filenames.

Could you provide more detail as to the logic one would use? For instance, in a range of fullnames, how would we know (and can provide rule(s) for our code to use) on what constitutes an archive folder?

Mark

Upvote 0
This puts the path in the next cell over:

Code:
Sub GEW()
    Dim cell        As Range
    Dim s           As String
    Dim iAttr       As Long

On Error Resume Next

For Each cell In Intersect(ActiveWindow.RangeSelection, ActiveSheet.UsedRange).Cells
        s = cell.Value2
        Do While Len(s)
            iAttr = Not vbDirectory
            iAttr = GetAttr(s)
            ' Debug.Print iAttr & " " & s
            If iAttr And vbDirectory Then Exit Do
            s = Left(s, InStrRev(s, "\", Len(s) - 1))
            If Right(s, 1) = "\" Then s = Left(s, Len(s) - 1)
        Loop

cell(1, 2).Value = s
    Next cell
End Sub

Upvote 0
Could you provide more detail as to the logic one would use? For instance, in a range of fullnames, how would we know (and can provide rule(s) for our code to use) on what constitutes an archive folder?
Mark

Sure so the file listings I'm working with aren't perfect for what I need, and archives contents are provided. I will have a listing like "C:\ZIPS\Archive.ZIP\Subdirectoryofzip\Document.XLS" which I will want to convert to C:\ZIPS to erase the content of the archive and just provide the folder it's in. In this example I would want to delete all the contents to the third "\". What I am currently doing is using Autofilter to select all the archive type paths which I can easily identify, and then running your macro by selecting visible cells. My only question was whether it was possible to manipulate the macro to delete towards a "\" further to the left than the first one? Thanks

Upvote 0
You can lead a horse to water ...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yeti1016

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back