Renaming Worksheets in files in a directory

dariushou

Board Regular
Hope i can get some help here as my vba experience is extremely limited. I'm trying to run a macro from a spreadsheet that will go down a list of file names that i have entered in a worksheet where the macro resides and open those spreadsheets and rename the worksheets in each file according to a list of names that i have entered in the 10 columns next to the file name. It's easier to explain with the layout of my macro spreadsheet:

Sheet1

<TABLE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 2pt; PADDING-LEFT: 2pt; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial,Arial; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=1><COLGROUP><COL style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; WIDTH: 30px"><COL style="WIDTH: 377px"><COL style="WIDTH: 60px"><COL style="WIDTH: 70px"><COL style="WIDTH: 60px"><COL style="WIDTH: 60px"><COL style="WIDTH: 62px"><COL style="WIDTH: 60px"><COL style="WIDTH: 61px"><COL style="WIDTH: 60px"><COL style="WIDTH: 60px"><COL style="WIDTH: 67px"></COLGROUP><TBODY><TR style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TD> </TD><TD>D</TD><TD>E</TD><TD>F</TD><TD>G</TD><TD>H</TD><TD>I</TD><TD>J</TD><TD>K</TD><TD>L</TD><TD>M</TD><TD>N</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">2</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold"> </TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; TEXT-ALIGN: center">Sheet1</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; TEXT-ALIGN: center">Sheet2</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; TEXT-ALIGN: center">Sheet3</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; TEXT-ALIGN: center">Sheet4</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; TEXT-ALIGN: center">Sheet5</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; TEXT-ALIGN: center">Sheet6</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; TEXT-ALIGN: center">Sheet7</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; TEXT-ALIGN: center">Sheet8</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; TEXT-ALIGN: center">Sheet9</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; TEXT-ALIGN: center">Sheet10</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">3</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; TEXT-ALIGN: center">Full Path</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; TEXT-ALIGN: center">Name</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; TEXT-ALIGN: center">Name</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; TEXT-ALIGN: center">Name</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; TEXT-ALIGN: center">Name</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; TEXT-ALIGN: center">Name</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; TEXT-ALIGN: center">Name</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; TEXT-ALIGN: center">Name</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; TEXT-ALIGN: center">Name</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; TEXT-ALIGN: center">Name</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; TEXT-ALIGN: center">Name</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">4</TD><TD>R:\Capital Markets\01B</TD><TD>01B PY</TD><TD>01B Collat</TD><TD>01B XIO</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">5</TD><TD>R:\Capital Markets\02A</TD><TD>02A PY</TD><TD>02A Collat</TD><TD>02A XIO</TD><TD>02A P</TD><TD>02A M10</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">6</TD><TD>R:\Capital Markets\02C</TD><TD>02C PY</TD><TD>02C Collat</TD><TD>02C XIO</TD><TD>02C P</TD><TD>02C M7B</TD><TD>02C M8</TD><TD>02C M9B</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Excel tables to the web >> http://www.excel-jeanie-html.de/index.php?f=1" target="_blank"> Excel Jeanie HTML 4

So i would like the macro to go down column D and open up the corresponding file and then rename the worksheets according to the corresponding cells in the columns to the right (columns E thru N). Then save and then close the file the macro just opened. As you can see from my data, sometimes there are only a few worksheets in each workbook and the number of worksheets per workbook varies.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
surendra75

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back