Restricting access to a pivottable's source data.

showboat098

I'm working in Excel 2010. I have a pivot table that's accessible to my entire firm. The source data for the pivot table is stored within another worksheet file separate from the pivot table. I want to restrict other individuals within the firm from being able to access the source date without affecting the pivot table. Placing a password on the source data also password protects the pivot table, and I'm trying to avoid that. Any other methods I'm not covering?

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
Any data that is stored in the PivotCache is potentially accessible to a user of the file with the PivotTable.

If you limit the data stored in the PivotCache to non-restricted information then a user who doesn't have access to your source workbook will still have normal PivotTable functionality with the exception of not being able to refresh the data. This is similar to what happens if your Pivot's source data is a separate file on your computer's local drive and you email the Pivot's workbook to other users.

If the users need a means to refresh the Pivot to get updated data (in lieu of your distributing an updated file), you could use a Proxy file that you update with non-restricted data. Place that Proxy file in a shared location and have the Pivots use it as the data source. Then you update the Proxy file and let user's click the refresh button to pull in the updates.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eggy66

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back