Return a value in a specified column in the same row as a search value

ShanonExcelQs

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi There

I have a workbook with multiple sheets, and I want to use the first sheet as below "MONTHLY PLAN" to return answers from the other sheets.

1639050159753.png

In each of the other sheets, I have information regarding modules, like so:
1639050255883.png

I want to find all the "Modules" that would be for January for example, to show on my first sheet under January. So if we use the above sheet, if in column H the value is "January", I want to see what the corresponding Module is in column B. I would do this for each sheet in the workbook. How would I go about this?

Attachments

• 1639050103379.png
    1639050103379.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 14

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Give this a try:
=INDEX('CUSTOMER COURSES'!B2:H$50,MATCH(B$1,'CUSTOMER COURSES'!H2:H$50,0),0)

Assumptions:
- Your month is in Cell B1
- There are 50 rows in your Customer Courses tab...update to however many rows you have.

Upvote 0
Hi ShanonExcelQs,

I have some design comments.

Merged cells are anathema to Excel functions. e.g. Your cell B2 contains "Why promotional products work" and A2 contains "The Promotional Industry - You are here", but B3 contains "The Economic environment - Micro" yet A3 contains nothing and any function retreiving A3 will receive a null string.
You can work around this with a helper column (e.g. create column K as IF(A2<>"",A2,K1) and copy down) but then you need to retrieve Course Names from column K.

Excel Functions can't read the color, font or strikethrough status of a cell. You can use Conditional Formatting to set those things (e.g. if the Status is "Done" then set ETA as strikethrough) but can't read them.

Excel has a limited list of Functions which work as a 3-D reference (i.e. across multiple sheets). You can see that list here: 3-D Functions
You could use INDIRECT and a list of sheet names to do what you want but you'd need some kind of helper column to figure out how many can be listed from each sheet. Messy.

Personally I would use one sheet to contain all Course Types in a new column A. Then the Monthly Plan only need to search that single sheet. Something like this:

ShanonExcelQs.xlsx
ABCDEFGH
1Course TypeCourse NameModuleSourceetcStatusetcETA for Launching / Launched
2CustomerYou are HerePart 1Done09-Sep-21
3CustomerYou are HerePart 2Pending02-Feb-22
4CustomerYou are HerePart 3Busy24-Feb-22
5CustomerMicroPart 1Done18-Mar-22
6Customer CareCuddle/CoddlePart 1Pending11-Nov-21
7Customer CareCuddle/CoddlePart 2Busy03-Jan-22
8LayoutsPlacement 101Part 1Done25-Dec-21
9LayoutsPlacement 202Part 2Pending16-Jan-22
10SalesOppty StrikesPart 1Busy11-Oct-21
11SalesOppty StrikesPart 2Busy20-Mar-22
12SalesSales 101Part 1Done21-Feb-22
Courses
Cells with Conditional Formatting
CellConditionCell FormatStop If True
H2:H999Expression=AND(H2<>"",$F$2="Done",H2<TODAY())textNO

Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D2:I2D2=EOMONTH(A2,0)+1
A4:B7A4=IFERROR(INDEX(Courses!B$2:B$9999,AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW(Courses!$H$2:$H$9999)-ROW(Courses!$H$1)/((Courses!$H$2:$H$9999>=A$2)*(Courses!$H$2:$H$9999<=EOMONTH(A$2,0))),ROW()-ROW($A$3))),"")
C4:C7C4=IFERROR(INDEX(Courses!F$2:F$9999,AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW(Courses!$H$2:$H$9999)-ROW(Courses!$H$1)/((Courses!$H$2:$H$9999>=C$2)*(Courses!$H$2:$H$9999<=EOMONTH(C$2,0))),ROW()-ROW($A$3))),"")
D4:E7D4=IFERROR(INDEX(Courses!B$2:B$9999,AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW(Courses!$H$2:$H$9999)-ROW(Courses!$H$1)/((Courses!$H$2:$H$9999>=D$2)*(Courses!$H$2:$H$9999<=EOMONTH(D$2,0))),ROW()-ROW($A$3))),"")
F4:F7F4=IFERROR(INDEX(Courses!F$2:F$9999,AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW(Courses!$H$2:$H$9999)-ROW(Courses!$H$1)/((Courses!$H$2:$H$9999>=F$2)*(Courses!$H$2:$H$9999<=EOMONTH(F$2,0))),ROW()-ROW($A$3))),"")
G4:H7G4=IFERROR(INDEX(Courses!B$2:B$9999,AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW(Courses!$H$2:$H$9999)-ROW(Courses!$H$1)/((Courses!$H$2:$H$9999>=G$2)*(Courses!$H$2:$H$9999<=EOMONTH(G$2,0))),ROW()-ROW($A$3))),"")
I4:I7I4=IFERROR(INDEX(Courses!F$2:F$9999,AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW(Courses!$H$2:$H$9999)-ROW(Courses!$H$1)/((Courses!$H$2:$H$9999>=I$2)*(Courses!$H$2:$H$9999<=EOMONTH(I$2,0))),ROW()-ROW($A$3))),"")

Upvote 0
Hey Guys

I have updated it to one tab and rearranged a few things, would you be able to help with the formula to get:
The summary of all modules labelled January to be in the Monthly Plan tab. I need the course name, module and the Status. In my courses tab I have no merged cells anymore. I have 225 rows in this tab as well, example image done manually without formula below as how I am trying to get the monthly summary:

1639490906114.png

AA CONTENT - Internal and External COPY.xlsx
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWX
1MONTHLY PLAN
2JANUARYFEBRUARYMARCHAPRILMAYJUNEJULYAUGUST
3COURSE NAMEMODULESTATUSCOURSE NAMEMODULESTATUSCOURSE NAMEMODULESTATUSCOURSE NAMEMODULESTATUSCOURSE NAMEMODULESTATUSCOURSEMODULESTATUSCOURSEMODULESTATUSCOURSEMODULESTATUS
MONTHLY PLAN

AA CONTENT - Internal and External COPY.xlsx
ABCDEFGH
1COURSE TYPE COURSE NAMEMODULE NAMECONTENT EXPERTASSIGNEDSTATUSNOTESLAUNCH DATE/ETA'S
2CUSTOMER COURSESThe Promotional Industry - You Are HereWhy promotional products workNukiweNukiweDoneLaunchedLaunched
3CUSTOMER COURSESThe Promotional Industry - You Are HereThe Economic Enviroment - MicroNukiweNukiweTo CreateCreate contentFebruary
4CUSTOMER COURSESThe Promotional Industry - You Are HereThe Economic Enviroment - MacroNukiweNukiweTo CreateCreate contentMarch
5CUSTOMER COURSESThe Promotional Industry - You Are HereManaging End User ExpectationNukiweNukiweTo CreateCreate contentJanuary
6CUSTOMER COURSESThe Promotional Industry - You Are HereWhat's in the bag (Registration Pack)NukiweNukiweRedo Previous ContentTo be RedoneJanuary
7CUSTOMER COURSESThe Promotional Industry - You Are HereIntroduction to Amrod and the business evolutionNukiweNukiweRedo Previous ContentTo be RedoneFebruary
8CUSTOMER COURSESThe Promotional Industry - You Are HerePromo Industry in the Post COVID world.NukiweNukiweTo CreateCreate contentFebruary
9CUSTOMER COURSESThe Promotional Industry - You Are HereFabrics and Fabrications when selling clothingOmerTo CreateCreate contentFebruary
10CUSTOMER COURSESThe Promotional Industry - You Are HereTips for Success Maximising The Busy Promo Season NukiweNukiweDoneContent available and edited. Ready to lauch Launched
11CUSTOMER COURSESSales Tips and IdeasCapitilize on Collaboration|Understanding your Cients NeedsASIASIDoneLaunchedLaunched
12CUSTOMER COURSESSales Tips and Ideas25 productivity hacks to get things doneASIASIDoneLaunchedLaunched
13CUSTOMER COURSESSales Tips and IdeasFantastic Follow Ups: Convert Leads Into Sales & Customers Into FansASIASIDoneLaunchedLaunched
14CUSTOMER COURSESSales Tips and IdeasWhats Your Bounce Back Plan? 21 Strategies To Implement TodayASIASIDonedone - ready to launchLaunched
15CUSTOMER COURSESSales Tips and IdeasSelling to the 21st centuryASIASIDoneLoaded on AA - Not published-awaiting draft mailer from MarketingLaunched
16CUSTOMER COURSESSales Tips and IdeasBuilding profitable client relationship ASIASIApproved - To LaunchLoaded on AA - Not published-mailer to be approvedJanuary
COURSES
Cells with Conditional Formatting
CellConditionCell FormatStop If True
C2:H1048576Expression=$F2="In Progress"textNO
C2:H1048576Expression=$F2="Changes Required"/"Approved Script"/"VO Required"textNO
C2:H1048576Expression=$F2="Approved - to Launch"textNO
C2:H1048576Expression=$F2="Awaiting Omer Approval"textNO
C2:H1048576Expression=$F2="Awaiting Feedback"textNO
C2:H1048576Expression=$F2="To be approved"textNO
C2:H1048576Expression=$F2="Redo Previous Content"textNO
C2:H1048576Expression=$F2="To Create"textNO
C2:H1048576Expression=$F2="Done"textNO
Cells with Data Validation
CellAllowCriteria
A2:A16ListCUSTOMER COURSES; SALES COURSES; CUSTOMER CARE COURSES; LAYOUTS COURSES
F2:F16ListTo Be Approved; To Create; In Progress; Done; Changes Required; Redo Previous Content; Awaiting Feedback; Approved Script; Approved - To Launch; Awaiting Omer Approval; VO Required ; Delayed

Upvote 0
Hi ShanonExcelQs,

I note you didn't change column H to year and month which means you must make sure you don't pick up historical courses. e.g. The August column will pick up any August courses remaining from previous years.

You may want to make column H a dropdown List for month selection. I've added a TRIM to fix your data as some cells, such as H5, had a trailing space and any difference between H and your headings in MonthlyPlan won't find a match.

You said you've removed merged cells but the MonthlyPlan months are still merged so I needed to add the convoluted INDEX($A$2:$X$2,(INT(((COLUMN()-COLUMN($A$3))/3))*3)+1) to match the correct heading month.

I haven't repeated your Courses sheet but here is the MonthlyPlan and you just need to copy the formulae in A4 to X4 down as many rows as will satisfy your maximum courses per month.

Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A4:X8A4=IFERROR(INDEX(Courses!$B$2:$F$9999,AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW(Courses!$H$2:$H$9999)-ROW(Courses!$H$1)/(TRIM(Courses!$H$2:$H$9999)=INDEX($A$2:$X$2,(INT(((COLUMN()-COLUMN($A$3))/3))*3)+1)),ROW()-ROW($A$3)),CHOOSE(MOD((COLUMN()-COLUMN($A$3)),3)+1,1,2,5)),"")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ralemanygarcia

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back