ABCDE
1PatternsNamesStaffOutput
2Pattern 1Tom, HarryTomPattern 1, Pattern 2
3Pattern 2Jack, Sam, TomHarryPattern 1, Pattern 5
4Pattern 3Sara, JaneSaraPattern 3, Pattern 4, Pattern 5
5Pattern 4Sara JanePattern 3
6Pattern 5Harry, SaraKen
Sheet1

Can I please have a solution tailored for Excel 2016 (no textjoin) for this scenario. Am after a formula/function to return the requested output in column E.

An alternative especially if you have a lot of data
1. Load your data to Power Query.
2. Split your Names Column by delimiter comma to rows
3. Close and load your results to Data Model
4. In Power Pivot, build a measure to concatenate the patterns by name

PatternsNamesRow LabelsPattern
Pattern 1Tom, HarryHarryPattern 1, Pattern 5
Pattern 2Jack, Sam, TomJackPattern 2
Pattern 3Sara, JaneJanePattern 3
Pattern 4SaraSamPattern 2
Pattern 5Harry, SaraSaraPattern 5, Pattern 3, Pattern 4
TomPattern 1, Pattern 2

Power Query Mcode

Power Query:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.ExpandListColumn(Table.TransformColumns(Source, {{"Names", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(",", QuoteStyle.Csv), let itemType = (type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true] in type {itemType}}}), "Names"),
    #"Trimmed Text" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Names", Text.Trim, type text}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Trimmed Text", {"Names"}, {{"Data", each _, type table [Patterns=text, Names=text]}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Custom", each Table.AddIndexColumn([Data],"Index",1,1)),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom",{"Data"}),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Columns", "Custom", {"Patterns", "Index"}, {"Patterns", "Index"})
in
    #"Expanded Custom"

Power Pivot Measure to build Pivot Table
Excel Formula:
=CONCATENATEX(Table1,Table1[Patterns],", ")

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-04 051750.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-06-04 051750.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Just out of interest, have you tested the formula from post #4 against your 35 rows? All of the functions used are meant to be available in 2016, and I'd be keen to know if they didn't work :unsure:
Hi Kevin
I don't have 2016 to check but I thought that I had seen somewhere that CONCAT wasn't available in 2016 despite Help saying it is. Suppose it is available then I think that your approach needs amendment due to the possibility of returning incorrect results - see orange cells below that use your formula with modified sample data. The formula needs to ensure that the searched for name is not found as part of a longer name.
Also, you can shorten the formula considerably by putting the delimiter at the start of each item rather than at the end. It is simpler to eliminate the extra one from there.
I have implemented those two things in the column F formulas. Might it need Ctrl+Shift+Enter confirmation in 2016?

tigerzen.xlsm
ABCDEF
1PatternsNamesStaffOutput
2Pattern 1Tom, HarryTomPattern 1, Pattern 2, Pattern 6Pattern 1, Pattern 2
3Pattern 2Jack, Sam, TomHarryPattern 1, Pattern 5Pattern 1, Pattern 5
4Pattern 3Sara, JaneSaraPattern 3, Pattern 4, Pattern 5Pattern 3, Pattern 4, Pattern 5
5Pattern 4SaraJanePattern 3Pattern 3
6Pattern 5Harry, SaraKenPattern 6 
7Pattern 6Tomas, Kenrick
Sheet7
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
E2:E6E2=IFERROR(LEFT(CONCAT(IF(ISNUMBER(FIND(D2,$B$2:$B$7)),$A$2:$A$7&", ","")),LEN(CONCAT(IF(ISNUMBER(FIND(D2,$B$2:$B$7)),$A$2:$A$7&", ","")))-2),"")
F2:F6F2=REPLACE(CONCAT(IF(ISNUMBER(FIND(", "&D2&",",", "&B$2:B$7&",")),", "&A$2:A$7,"")),1,2,"")

Upvote 0
I think that your approach needs amendment due to the possibility of returning incorrect results - see orange cells below that use your formula with modified sample data. The formula needs to ensure that the searched for name is not found as part of a longer name.
Yes, all valid points Peter (y) :) It would be a pity if MS's own help advice was wrong about the Concat availability (and presumably wrong for some years now...)
Cheers
Kev

Upvote 0
An alternative especially if you have a lot of data
1. Load your data to Power Query.
2. Split your Names Column by delimiter comma to rows
3. Close and load your results to Data Model
4. In Power Pivot, build a measure to concatenate the patterns by name
@alansidman, I am surprised you didn't do it all in PQ ;)
Power Query:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(Source, "Names", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(", ", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Names.1", "Names.2", "Names.3"}),
    #"Transposed Table" = Table.Transpose(#"Split Column by Delimiter"),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Transposed Table", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Promoted Headers", "Index", 0, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Added Index", {"Index"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Removed Columns1" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Unpivoted Other Columns",{"Index"}),
    #"Trimmed Text" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Removed Columns1",{{"Value", Text.Trim, type text}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Trimmed Text", {"Value"}, {{"Concat", each _, type table [Index=number, Attribute=text, Value=text]}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Concat_Pattern", each Text.Combine([Concat][Attribute],", ")),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom",{"Concat"}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Removed Columns",{{"Concat_Pattern", type text}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for the wonderful replies. It's always great to have alternatives that can be tailored for different scenarios.
Kevin, I won't have access to the original data for a few days but I tried your post no. 4 solution with larger mock data and it seemed to work fine, very clever formula given the constraints of the older Excel version.
Peter the UDF works great, thank you for the suggestion and also for quality testing Kevin's suggestion, all very helpful in finding the perfect solution.
Alan and Alex, PQ was the next option if I couldn't solve with Excel functions and thanks Alex for your suggestion as I'm not very familiar with Power Pivot (get around to it someday).

Upvote 0
Glad we were all able to help, and thank you so much for the kind feedback (y):)

Upvote 0
You're welcome from me also. :)
I take it then that you are confirming CONCAT exists in 2016?
And if so can you confirm whether or not Kevin's formula and my alternative in column F of post #12 require array entry (Ctrl+Shift+Enter) in Excel 2016?

Upvote 0
You're welcome from me also. :)
I take it then that you are confirming CONCAT exists in 2016?
And if so can you confirm whether or not Kevin's formula and my alternative in column F of post #12 require array entry (Ctrl+Shift+Enter) in Excel 2016?
OK, will check with my associate as I don't have 2016 either, I simply tried Kevin's solution on my computer which of course has 365 on it to see if it worked.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fragment

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back