Return Name of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. most popular items

IteachThings

Hello,

I am trying to sift through a bunch of data aggregated into a table. What I would like to do is find a way to have the top x choices listed by name in a separate part of the sheet without the same item being listed twice. My table currently looks like:
Item CodeItem NameItem Score
AItem A Name11
BItem B Name10
CItem C Name10
DItem D Name8
EItem E Name11
FItem F Name5

The formula I am using right now is returning duplicate answers, as in 'Item A Name' twice, instead of listing 1st as "Item A Name" and 2nd as "Item E Name". The output format is also currently 'Item A name scored n" where n is the number of votes. I would like to keep that output if possible.

This is what I have currently:
=INDEX(B2:B7,MATCH(LARGE(C2:C7,1),C2:C7,FALSE),)&" scored "&LARGE(C2:C7,1) for the second value it would look like =INDEX(B2:B7,MATCH(LARGE(C2:C7,2),C2:C7,FALSE),)&" scored "&LARGE(C2:C7,2). Any help is appreciated.

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
As you have ties in the votes you need to decide what your tie break criteria is and factor that in
for instance if your item code is indeed A-F or A-Z in reality, does it mean that if there is a tie as in your example A takes precedence over E as it’s nearer the start of the alphabet or do you have some other criteria

Upvote 0
I don't have a preference for a tie breaker. If both would be listed next to each other, I would be ok using the "tie breaker" being alphabetical. In other words, it would be fine if there is a tie between code A and code E, if code A is listed first because it is first alphabetically. I don't have a particular criteria that I need for setting a precedent order.

Upvote 0
How about:

Book1
ABCDE
1Item CodeItem NameItem ScoreResults
2AItem A Name11Item E Name scored 11
3BItem B Name10Item A Name scored 11
4CItem C Name10Item C Name scored 10
5DItem D Name8Item B Name scored 10
6EItem E Name11Item D Name scored 8
7FItem F Name5Item F Name scored 5
Sheet11
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
E2:E7E2=IFERROR(INDEX(B:B,MOD(AGGREGATE(14,6,C$2:C$7+ROW(C$2:C$7)/1000,ROWS(E$2:E2)),1)*1000)&" scored "&LARGE(C$2:C$7,ROWS(E$2:E2)),"")

This uses the row number to break ties, so if there is a tie, the lower entry will display first. Also, this assumes that the scores are integers. If that's not the case, then this will not work right.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yallaire64

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back