Rouge Excel Formula

chet645

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
All, I use a fairly sophisticated financial model to project cash flow for investments, and I've recently noticed that somehow the "@" symbol has shown up in a significant amount of the formulas (80%+) in the workbook. Calculations in the workbook seem unaffected by the addition. I thought I would see if anyone has experienced something similar and what the cause might be. Would be great if there is an easy way to remove the symbol as well.

Here is an example: $D740*@IF($E740="Pro Rata @ Deliveries",N$563,IF(AND($F740<=@INDEX_MONTH,@INDEX_MONTH<=$G740),IF($I740="Manual (%)",Assumptions!AM226,IF($I740="Manual ($)",Assumptions!AM226/Assumptions!$E226,IF($I740="Ratably",1/$H740,IF($I740="S Curve",INDEX(TABLE_SCURVE_1,$H740+1,(YEAR(@INDEX_MONTH)-YEAR($F740))*12+(MONTH(@INDEX_MONTH)-MONTH($F740))+2)))))))

Thanks in advance for your help. Really appreciate this community.

Regards,

Chet

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
excel's formula language changed in a recentish update and automatically changed everyone's formulas
supposedly your formulas should work the same but some people are reporting that the @ is breaking their workbooks. the best way to remove it seems to be to ctrl H replace the @ symbols with nothing
i dont know exactly how the @ symbol works in formulas and trying to search anything related to it is impossible

Upvote 0
It seems to be a glitch. This article is all I could find of any relevance - the first part went on about Tables, but the latter part insinuates that a problem arose after the new calculation engine was included in 365, especially Insider with the dynamic array functionality. Just replace all the @ with nothing.

Believe it or not, the @ symbol was the original way to begin a formula in early spreadsheet software but was long ago replaced by the = sign. The @ symbol has risen like a phoenix, seemingly.

Upvote 0
finally found relevant info

support.office.com said:
Excel's upgraded formula language is almost identical to the old language, except that it uses the @ operator to indicate where implicit intersection could occur, whereas the old language did this silently. As a result, you may notice @'s appear in some formulas when opened in dynamic array Excel. It's important to note that your formulas will continue to calculate the same way they always have.

Upvote 0
Thanks, all. I feel a little better now that I know what is going on. My workbook seems unaffected, so I won't worry about it for now.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdguy_1930

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back