Rounding errors

MN_Excel

Board Regular
I am multiplying by a % and putting the result in column C and comparing that do column D. In short, Column E is Column C-Column D. However the total of Column E if I use the sum function doens't equal the total of Column C less total of Column D. The difference is small and doesn't appear until probably the 8th decimal place, but it is causing headaches for what we are trying to do. I know one option is to select "display precision" but I'm hesitant to go that route. Any other ideas on how to ensure there is no roudning difference?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Wrap the formula in round, e.g.,

=round(your formula, 2)

Upvote 0
That's exactly what I have done to resolve, but I'm confused why I would have to manually do that. It just seems as though excel is being inconsitent because the sum of the items in column E should always equal sum of Column C less sum of Column D.

Regardless, the rounding function works. Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0
You computer uses a binary floating point representation that can't store many decimal values (e.g., 0.1) exactly, so you get small errors in arithmetic operations.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LGVBPP

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back