Rounding time

Supernedz

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hi, I am building a tool in Excel to calculate timing and penalties to the second in motorsport events. I have a calculation to sum two times, either of which could be positive or negative. I am using the 1904 setting which was necessary for another part of the sheet.

So the cell entries might look like this for example;

A1 = -01/01/1904 00:01:15
B1 = 01/01/1904 00:06:20

Adding the two cells (=A1+B1) works as expected and in this case would be 01/01/1904 00:05:05.

What I need to be able to do though is, given a certain condition (using an IF formula), I need to be able to remove any seconds and round down the total so that the example above would be 01/01/1904 00:05:00.

I know when the sum is positive I want to round down to the nearest minute so 01/01/1904 00:05:05 would become 01/01/1904 00:05:00 and I think when the sum is negative I also need to round down so -01/01/1904 00:09:30 would become -01/01/1904 00:10:00.

I have tried various versions of FLOOR and ROUNDDOWN and TIME and can’t get any of them to behave properly. ROUNDDOWN and TIME result in errors I think caused by negative values and FLOOR has an issue where if the seconds are shown as 00 it will round down to the next minute rather than just leaving the result alone. I think this is to do with the long decimal “real” numbers behind time format.

I have run out of ideas on how to solve this, please help!

The part that excel can't show your negative times...
Not quite true, you can display negative time if using the 1904 date system. Just any dates currently using/created in the 1900 system will be incorrect. Not something I would recommend but it is there.

Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A3A3=NOW()
A4A4=NOW()-TIMEVALUE("03:00:00")
A5A5=A4-A3

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
If you want to sum just change the B2-A2 to A2+B2.
The round down to the nearest minute is done by deducting the seconds from the time value.
The round up is taking the round down amount and if the seconds aren't = 0 add 1 minute. Since this is for the negative then multiplying by -1.

Upvote 0
The round down to the nearest minute is done by deducting the seconds from the time value.
The round up is taking the round down amount and if the seconds aren't = 0 add 1 minute. Since this is for the negative then multiplying by -1.
Hi, thanks for replying so quickly, I think I understand it better now and that does seem to have the desired effect but I have to duplicate across 50 sheets to prove it. Massive TIA if it has worked!!!

I do notice that the result does not contain 01/01/1904 any more and is only displaying hours and minutes. Even if I format the cells to show date and time the date is not there. Is that likely to be an issue for me?

Upvote 0
Sorry, embarrassing but I’m still not getting it. In your example you are rounding up times over 30secs, I don’t want to do that, it must remove the seconds from the current minute. Also, are you saying I just can’t do it with negative values? There must be a way… thank you for your time by the way!
Ok sorry I misunderstood.

Is this what you want (i'm not showing the date part but it will work the same)?:

1705188579361.png

Then try this formula in B2 and copy down:

Excel Formula:
=LET(t_min, A2*24*60,
IF(t_min>=0,ROUNDDOWN(t_min,0),ROUNDUP(t_min,0))/24/60
)

Upvote 0
Not quite true, you can display negative time if using the 1904 date system. Just any dates currently using/created in the 1900 system will be incorrect. Not something I would recommend but it is there.

Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A3A3=NOW()
A4A4=NOW()-TIMEVALUE("03:00:00")
A5A5=A4-A3
Thanks. I didn't know that.

Upvote 0
Based on your example, you are rounding down the positive number but rounding up the negative number.
(Round Down being towards zero, Round Up being awary from zero)

This is clunky but might work for you.

Excel Formula:
=LET(Diff,B2-A2,
            posDiff,ABS(Diff),
            rndDown,posDiff-TIME(0,0,SECOND(posDiff)),
            rndUp,rndDown+TIME(0,SECOND(posDiff)<>0,0),
            IF(Diff>=0,
                 rndDown,
                  TEXT(rndUp,"-[h]:mm:ss")))

If you are successful in getting a negative time values to be recognised then you may be able to convert the swap out TEXT(rndUp,"-[h]:mm:ss") with -rndUp
Excel Formula:
=LET(Diff,B2-A2,
            posDiff,ABS(Diff),
            rndDown,posDiff-TIME(0,0,SECOND(posDiff)),
            rndUp,rndDown+TIME(0,SECOND(posDiff)<>0,0),
            IF(Diff>=0,
                 rndDown,
                -rndUp))
This did it thanks! the second version of your formula with the swap out worked and kept the time format. Thank you so much! I don't know how you did it, I am in awe!

Upvote 0
Thanks for your help, I think it's solved. You guys blow my mind!

Upvote 0
Hi, thanks for replying so quickly, I think I understand it better now and that does seem to have the desired effect but I have to duplicate across 50 sheets to prove it. Massive TIA if it has worked!!!

I do notice that the result does not contain 01/01/1904 any more and is only displaying hours and minutes. Even if I format the cells to show date and time the date is not there. Is that likely to be an issue for me?
If you have changed your settings and are successfully showing negatives then the 2nd version I gave you should return a number representing date & time and formatting with the date included should show the date and time.

@felixstraube's latest suggestion is a more straightforward approach and I suggest you go with that.

Upvote 0
After thorough testing I can say that this formula works as well and is a little simpler:

Excel Formula:
=INT(ROUND(A2*24*60,2))/24/60

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back