Rounding up time issues

August

In cells N70:N76 I have formulas that calculate hours (cells are formatted hh:mm)
In N77 I have the formula =CEILING(SUM(N70:N76),"00:15") to round up the total to the nearest 15mins
The issue I'm having is that if the total of the range N70:N76 is 00:30 the formula in N77 sometimes gives 00:30 and sometimes 00:45
I've checked for hidden characters and I've also tried the formulas below to no avail
=CEILING(SUMPRODUCT(N70:N76)*24*60,15)/24/60
=CEILING(SUM(N70:N76)*24*4, 1)/(24*4)
=CEILING(SUM(N70:N76)*24*60,15)/24/60

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
If a time is displayed as 00:30, the actual time could be 00:30 plus some number of seconds. That is greater than 00:30 so will result in a CEILING of 00:45.

There are also real-number issues that could be at play.

It would be helpful to have some samples of your data (a link to a file would be ideal, but listing the values would be good enough), and also the exact underlying values, not just the displayed hh:mm formats.

Upvote 0
Thanks for reply
The times in N70:N76 are the result of numerous calculations that form part of a time sheet calculator.
The input times are all entered via Data Validation drop downs and when I cleared and re-entered the validation cell linked to N70> formulas the rounding error cleared.
Still doesn't explain the original hit and miss of the result, but it's working correctly now having tested extensively
Many thanks again for taking the time to reply

Upvote 0
If you are doing calculations on time values it is very likely that you have values that do not fall on exact minute boundaries. For example, 00:30 is stored as 0.0208333333333333. If a calculation results in 0.0208333333333334 it will look like 00:30:00 but is actually 30 minutes plus 0.00000000001 seconds, so if you apply your CEILING formula the result will be 00:45.

This is just an inherent consequence of doing real-number arithmetic in base 10.

Upvote 0
I thought so, when looking at formula evaluation your 2nd value for 00:30 appears in some instances.
My original suggestion to the team here was to only allow time input in 15mins intervals and then there would be no need to round up, that might be the only way to go

Thanks again for your time, much appreciated

Upvote 0
One option would be to round to nearest minute before applying the CEILING function. I should have thought of that before.
Excel Formula:
=CEILING(MROUND(SUM(N70:N76),"00:01"),"00:15")

Upvote 0
One option would be to round to nearest minute before applying the CEILING function. I should have thought of that before.
Excel Formula:
=CEILING(MROUND(SUM(N70:N76),"00:01"),"00:15")
Thanks, I'll try that and see what happens

Upvote 0
V 🤣
The SAG strike took the pressure off a little
Now every one is hurry hurry hurry!!!
Your solution has cleared all errors, so once again many thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back