Run macro only once, when file is opened

Gimics

Board Regular
Hello,

I have a workbook with a macro that saves a bunch of additional workbooks when it runs. I would like to immediately refresh the pivot tables of those workbooks the first time they are opened, but then only have them refreshed manually from then on.

I think I need to add a Refresh.all macro in the Workbook_Open() event and use an if statement with some form of public variable, that crosses between macros? I think the macro that saves the report would have to turn the variable on (say, set it to 1), and the Workbook_Open() macro would have to check if the variable was 1 and refresh, or do nothing. I'm not sure where/how to declare the variable so that I can use it across both macros?

Thanks

Last edited:

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.

Gimics

Board Regular
I resolved this issue by creating a named constant in my workbook, and setting it to 1 before I run my report macro.

In my Workbook_Open(), I checked if the named constant was = "=1" (Couldn't figure out why, but when you set the value of a named constant to equal 1, the stored value is "=1"), ran the refresh macro if it was, and then set the constant back to 0.

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
denistrevisan

This Week's Hot Topics